Sending passport to Student FInance Watch

Anonymous_0749
Badges: 14
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi.

I am an EU nation so I need to send either the original passport or birth certificate; I prefer sending the original passport. When I send it to them I will send it by record class delivery (so I can keep track of it). How will student finance send it back once they have processed with it?

Cheers
FionaMG
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ssargithan)
Hi.

I am an EU nation so I need to send either the original passport or birth certificate; I prefer sending the original passport. When I send it to them I will send it by record class delivery (so I can keep track of it). How will student finance send it back once they have processed with it?

Cheers
Hi.

I don't know if you're aware but you can send a certified photocopy instead of your original passport, which means you will not need to worry about it either going missing or your needing it unexpectedly and not having it because SF still have it.

Get the copy done officially by a lawyer, notary or your nearest British consulate. There's a form you can use for this in the EU section of the website. Still send it recorded delivery though, so you know for sure that it's been received.

This will obviously be more expensive than sending the actual passport but it's probably worth it for the peace of mind.
Anonymous_0749
Badges: 14
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by FionaMG)
Hi.

I don't know if you're aware but you can send a certified photocopy instead of your original passport, which means you will not need to worry about it either going missing or your needing it unexpectedly and not having it because SF still have it.

Get the copy done officially by a lawyer, notary or your nearest British consulate. There's a form you can use for this in the EU section of the website. Still send it recorded delivery though, so you know for sure that it's been received.

This will obviously be more expensive than sending the actual passport but it's probably worth it for the peace of mind.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I was unaware of a certified photocopy of the original documents; would I be able to do it using my school teacher ? (Head of sixthform) ?

CHeers
FionaMG
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ssargithan)
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I was unaware of a certified photocopy of the original documents; would I be able to do it using my school teacher ? (Head of sixthform) ?

CHeers
Yes. According to the information on the form, which you can download from the Student Finance website, your teacher would be acceptable. He or she must fill in the information required in the "Certifier information" section and stamp (with the school's official stamp), sign and date all the pages.

I would suggest that once this is done you scan the whole thing before sending it to Student Finance so that you have a copy for your own records.
marioo0o96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi I'm also an EU applicant and I can't send my original passport in as I'm travelling in 3 weeks. I spoke to a few different Student Finance advisers over the phone and they all told me different things, not sure anyone there knows how their own system works.. first I've been asked to send an ADIF form + birth certificate + status of immigration from home office(?) so I phoned up today and it turns out I can't send in the home office thingy as I'm an EU resident and I never received it so the proof won't be valid, so another adviser told me I can send in a certified copy of my passport and I was very happy about that just to be told by another adviser it's only for applicants outside of EU so she advised me to send it in when I come back from my holiday

Was your certified copy of the passport accepted as a proof of identity? Thanks in advance
FionaMG
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by marioo0o96)
Hi I'm also an EU applicant and I can't send my original passport in as I'm travelling in 3 weeks. I spoke to a few different Student Finance advisers over the phone and they all told me different things, not sure anyone there knows how their own system works.. first I've been asked to send an ADIF form + birth certificate + status of immigration from home office(?) so I phoned up today and it turns out I can't send in the home office thingy as I'm an EU resident and I never received it so the proof won't be valid, so another adviser told me I can send in a certified copy of my passport and I was very happy about that just to be told by another adviser it's only for applicants outside of EU so she advised me to send it in when I come back from my holiday

Was your certified copy of the passport accepted as a proof of identity? Thanks in advance
Hi.

Yes, it absolutely was and my daughter received confirmation of her loan within two weeks of sending it.

Hope this helps.
marioo0o96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi.

Yes, it absolutely was and my daughter received confirmation of her loan within two weeks of sending it.

Hope this helps.
Thank You very much

Just to double check, the passport you sent in is not a UK passport but an European Union one, right?
If it was an EU passport and there was no problem I will probably do the same. How did you get it certified if you don't mind me asking?
FionaMG
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank You very much

Just to double check, the passport you sent in is not a UK passport but an European Union one, right?
If it was an EU passport and there was no problem I will probably do the same. How did you get it certified if you don't mind me asking?
We actually sent two documents, her passport, which is a UK passport, and her Portuguese identity card, as she has dual nationality. But she is considered an EU student because she was born in Portugal and has lived all her life here, so the process is exactly the same as for you.

We got the copies done at a notary, then had the notary's certification (which was in Portuguese) translated into English and re-certified by an official translation company. So it probably wasn't the cheapest way of doing it but we thought that it was a small price to pay for something so important.

There is a form on the SFE website that you can download and use if you prefer. As long as you can find someone like a teacher who is prepared to sign it for you that would normally be acceptable. Just make sure that they have an official stamp they can use because they have to stamp, sign and date every page.
marioo0o96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We actually sent two documents, her passport, which is a UK passport, and her Portuguese identity card, as she has dual nationality. But she is considered an EU student because she was born in Portugal and has lived all her life here, so the process is exactly the same as for you.

We got the copies done at a notary, then had the notary's certification (which was in Portuguese) translated into English and re-certified by an official translation company. So it probably wasn't the cheapest way of doing it but we thought that it was a small price to pay for something so important.

There is a form on the SFE website that you can download and use if you prefer. As long as you can find someone like a teacher who is prepared to sign it for you that would normally be acceptable. Just make sure that they have an official stamp they can use because they have to stamp, sign and date every page.
Thanks a lot for your reply, I really appreciate it
They told me over the phone if it can only be done with a UK passport, I do not have dual nationality.

My mother said she will ring up the embassy and explain the situation to them and they might issue a temporary passport which can be used for travelling (for a small fee). If that doesn't work I will send the certified copy of my passport, worst case scenario is it won't be accepted as a proof of evidence and I will need to send my original passport in at the end of July when I get back.
FionaMG
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks a lot for your reply, I really appreciate it
They told me over the phone if it can only be done with a UK passport, I do not have dual nationality.

My mother said she will ring up the embassy and explain the situation to them and they might issue a temporary passport which can be used for travelling (for a small fee). If that doesn't work I will send the certified copy of my passport, worst case scenario is it won't be accepted as a proof of evidence and I will need to send my original passport in at the end of July when I get back.
You're very welcome. I hope it all gets sorted out for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (33)
25%
No (99)
75%

Watched Threads