thelmldon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,

I'm considering what UCL accommodation to apply for right now, and trying in my mind to weigh up the benefits and costs of catered and self-catered accommodation. The clearest points for each that I can think of is:

Catered - self-responsibility on tight budget to purchase main meals (which takes up quite a large proportion) is taken off you, allowing you more money for niceties

Self-catered - cooking is a good social activity, great to meet people in your corridor/hall, and if you want to make something special outside of the staple meals you get (such as a birthday cake) you are free to do so!

People already living that uni life - which is better?
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Catered is more social imo, it's something you bond over and usually you'll all go to eat together. Also means you don't have to pay as much attention to spending as you'll always have that amount available, but it does cost a bit more usually overall.

I'd say have a look at how nice the rooms are for each and if the food is any decent in catered and use those as deciding factors.
KA1995
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You also need to consider what course you're doing and how many societies you want to do. If you're on medicine related courses it is advised to go self catered as you will likely have some unsociable hours on placement and may miss meals. Also I do quite a lot of societies and would be constantly missing dinner if I couldn't decide to have it very early/very late some days.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.13%
No (216)
76.87%

Watched Threads