when was the book of genesis written? Watch

EmergencyBagels
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey, im researching for my EPQ and i need to know when the book of genesis was written.
the only issue here isnt that nothing comes up if i google it/look for it in books, its just that its all really conflicting and i'd rather have a reliable source to reference
like if i google it a whole load of websites called like 'creation.com' saying it was written by moses in like 1200bc, but others seem to say that it was around 500bc.

i know this is a long shot, but if anybody happens to know a good unbiased and historically accurate resource that might help me in this, itd be much appreciated.
ta.
leahmshaya
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's basically impossible, religious people believe the book of Genesis, along with the rest of the Bible, was written by G-d while others will tell you it was written by a person or group of people and neither will accept the other argument. There is no concrete evidence for an exact date of 'publication' or transmission. There is no such thing as a non biased opinion, especially about this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AndrewD95
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by leahmshaya)
That's basically impossible, religious people believe the book of Genesis, along with the rest of the Bible, was written by G-d while others will tell you it was written by a person or group of people and neither will accept the other argument. There is no concrete evidence for an exact date of 'publication' or transmission. There is no such thing as a non biased opinion, especially about this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are very misinformed. In 19 years of going to church I have never heard anyone say that the bible was written by God. It is believed that Genesis was written by Moses, but we don't know for certain or when. The new testament however we have a much better idea of.
EmergencyBagels
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
meh, okay then i just wont cite it. what would be really great would be a study into it by historians, but i dont think i can find any records online :/
Comeback
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
"Tradition credits Moses as the author of Genesis, as well as Exodus, Leviticus, Numbersand most of Deuteronomy, but modern scholars increasingly see them as a product of the 6th and 5th centuries BC"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Genesis

Don't think it is universally-agreed though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
67.72%
No I haven't decided yet (25)
19.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise