Realdeal14
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Please can someone help me. How is self esteem presented in the Browning monologue, The Laboratory.
awesomewarsome
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The laboratory is a monologue which depicts a woman who's infuriated at her lovers decision of wanting to kill the woman her lover is having an affair with. I don't have the poem on me at the moment, but there's a paragraph where she talks about the woman, the description is very androgynous and spiteful which reiterates her self confidence, she's dehumanising the woman in order to drive her fury to make the 'smithy' produce the poision faster, she then compared herself to the woman a few stanzas after I believe, she gives a not very pleasant description of the woman and after talks about herself in an uplifting manner, using the juxtaposition of the harsh adjectives used to describe the woman against the charming adjectives used to describe herself.

She speaks about dancing at the Kings or something like that, it shows shes rather self conscious because she has to flaunt herself for the purpose of retaining attention from men, in order to uplift her mood.

She hides behind a 'mask' in the second to last paragraph I believe, the mask is used to conceal her actual insecurities, that although she presents herself as a bold and demonic character trying to intimidate everyone, she actually is hiding behind her guilt and insecurity, and underneath lies someone who's hurt and belittled by the man that ran off with another woman and left her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads