The Student Room Group

Failing first year in Northumbria Uni

I am pretty convinced I am going to fail my first year of uni. At the beginning of my year I attended regularly, but then my attendance dropped, and finally I didn't really go anymore at all. I have done my assignments online, and tests as well (Missed a couple but did most of them with alright grades). I haven't had much trouble with online tests and such, though essays and such assignments have been very difficult for me in English (especially the academic language requires effort since I'm not used to it)

The reason to my low attendance has mostly been my anxiety and depression, that was at it's worst last year, and I've been trying to make it better this year. I'm on the right road, I know it, but still its been hard for me to go to class. I am a EU student (non-British) and I've felt very out of place since I was placed as the only non-British member in the group. My fellow students feel cold and like they look down on me because English is not my first language (I am fluent though) and they don't seem to want to communicate with me, and if they do, they seem to feel very awkward about it.

Now, however, I am afraid I'm failing my first year. I took a huge risk coming here and I wish to continue to my second year, and improve and work hard to get better, academically AND mentally. Being kicked out of uni would be the worst possible thing to happen and I wouldn't know what to do then...

Is there any way for me to redo modules during the summer/avoid redoing my first year?

P.S.
I study business in Northumbria uni.
Original post by MuteSong
I am pretty convinced I am going to fail my first year of uni. At the beginning of my year I attended regularly, but then my attendance dropped, and finally I didn't really go anymore at all. I have done my assignments online, and tests as well (Missed a couple but did most of them with alright grades). I haven't had much trouble with online tests and such, though essays and such assignments have been very difficult for me in English (especially the academic language requires effort since I'm not used to it)

The reason to my low attendance has mostly been my anxiety and depression, that was at it's worst last year, and I've been trying to make it better this year. I'm on the right road, I know it, but still its been hard for me to go to class. I am a EU student (non-British) and I've felt very out of place since I was placed as the only non-British member in the group. My fellow students feel cold and like they look down on me because English is not my first language (I am fluent though) and they don't seem to want to communicate with me, and if they do, they seem to feel very awkward about it.

Now, however, I am afraid I'm failing my first year. I took a huge risk coming here and I wish to continue to my second year, and improve and work hard to get better, academically AND mentally. Being kicked out of uni would be the worst possible thing to happen and I wouldn't know what to do then...

Is there any way for me to redo modules during the summer/avoid redoing my first year?

P.S.
I study business in Northumbria uni.

Hello :smile:

I would send an email to your academic advisor or head of department and tell them the troubles you have been having with anxiety/ depression and your work. At most good universities there will be a support system in place such as councillors/ study coaches that you could access. Which country are you from in Europe?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending