Bustamove
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm going to a university applicant day on my own, is it going to look sad and be awkward?

I've never gone to one before and I don't wanna force a family member or friend to come with me on a train at stupid o'clock...
Bustamove
Rep:
?
bump
Stevo F
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1) Visiting a university and seeing if its right for you is more important than feeling slightly awkward, and

2) lots of people visit by themselves, you've got nothing to worry about
Bustamove
Rep:
?
just out of curiousity, what do I wear? I've never been to one before, do I dress smart casual or do i have to wear a suit?
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bustamove)
I'm going to a university applicant day on my own, is it going to look sad and be awkward?

I've never gone to one before and I don't wanna force a family member or friend to come with me on a train at stupid o'clock...
I went to all of mine by myself, I'd say at least half were on their own in most of them.

just out of curiousity, what do I wear? I've never been to one before, do I dress smart casual or do i have to wear a suit?
Unless it's an interview, just wear whatever you want!
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I've travelled 11 hours to Notts, 5 hours to Lancaster and 11 hours to Reading for the applicant days by myself. It's not that bad!

The best tip I can give is: talk to the other applicants!! Sure, do soak in as much information about the uni from course reps/faculty but also don't forget to be sociable to the other prospective students. Believe me, it will only be awkward if you make it that way.

I was somewhat apprehensive at first though after I had opened up a bit to the rest of the people on my tours - it was great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
O.Ozz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Of course its going to be awkward. Do you know why? Because i'm planning to go to a uni applicant day by myself and i know these posh kids will be looking at me like some lonely **** .

If its a uni your so much in love in, just go for going sake. I cant keep declining my uni for applicant day so i will be going my own next month.
Bustamove
Rep:
?
(Original post by Princepieman)
I've travelled 11 hours to Notts, 5 hours to Lancaster and 11 hours to Reading for the applicant days by myself. It's not that bad!

The best tip I can give is: talk to the other applicants!! Sure, do soak in as much information about the uni from course reps/faculty but also don't forget to be sociable to the other prospective students. Believe me, it will only be awkward if you make it that way.

I was somewhat apprehensive at first though after I had opened up a bit to the rest of the people on my tours - it was great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thing is, I know there will be loads of parents around and I'm not entirely sure on the number of people going on their own... How would I be able to socialize with them if they all bring their parents?? wouldn't it just be completely awkward?

the one thing that I'm not looking forward to is the complementary lunch that lasts for 1 hour!...
I'm leaving tomorrow morning to Leicester...
Bustamove
Rep:
?
(Original post by O.Ozz)
Of course its going to be awkward. Do you know why? Because i'm planning to go to a uni applicant day by myself and i know these posh kids will be looking at me like some lonely **** .

If its a uni your so much in love in, just go for going sake. I cant keep declining my uni for applicant day so i will be going my own next month.
Same, I've been declining my applicant days until now, I know i have to make a decision on my university firm and insurance and I know I need to get a feel of the place before I reject or accept...

I'm leaving tomorrow, Hopefully i won't look like a lonely **** XD
Bustamove
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chlorophile)
I went to all of mine by myself, I'd say at least half were on their own in most of them.

Unless it's an interview, just wear whatever you want!
Right, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads