wlys
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I thankfully have offers for both UCL and KCL for pharmacy. However, I just cannot make up my mind on which to go for. Originally when I applied, I would have loved to got into either as they're both prestigious and both in the centre of London.
But now I just can't decide which one I should go for...
I'd be grateful for people's opinions and of their personal experience.
Of course the quality of the Mpharm course is important, but..
Which school is better for things like accommodation, campus life etc.??
THANKSS
and234
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by wlys)
I thankfully have offers for both UCL and KCL for pharmacy. However, I just cannot make up my mind on which to go for. Originally when I applied, I would have loved to got into either as they're both prestigious and both in the centre of London.
But now I just can't decide which one I should go for...
I'd be grateful for people's opinions and of their personal experience.
Of course the quality of the Mpharm course is important, but..
Which school is better for things like accommodation, campus life etc.??
THANKSS
I was in the same position as you last year,I went for Kings. I would advise you to chose UCL for better teaching quality and a better course.ok the ucl school of pharmacy building is horrid but thats not very important. What is important is that you get good quality education.In kings the teaching is so rubbish in pharmacy, seriously make the right choice and go for UCL.If you decide to chose kings-yes the campus is nicer,but you will feel horrible everyday, under immense amounts of pressure and directionless.The course in kings is just terrible
cakeandcookies
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I'm a third year student at KCL and was in your position just a few years ago. Tbh I chose King's for different reasons (it was easier to get to and I preferred the course structure). At the beginning of my course I didn't like the way they threw us into the deep end and left us to basically get on with the course content ourselves. However, upon reflection on the past three years I really do think King's has brilliant teaching in all aspects of Pharmacy. It's also very clinically orientated; I've spoken to current/past UCL students (if I'm wrong then please correct me!) but their course is much more science based in that once you graduate and start your pre reg you have a lot of catching up to do with regards to the clinical application of pharmacy. I'm not gonna say that you're in a hospital talking to patients every week at King's, but they do expose you to clinical situations from the first year onwards as much as possible. Now that I'm in third year, after doing the OSCEs, I feel fairly more prepared to tackle real life patient situations than I would had I not had the training. Again, if what I've said is complete nonsense about UCL then someone please correct me!

I live at home though so can't really talk about accomodation. On Waterloo campus, where you'll be based, there is student accommodation literally across the road (so you can roll out of bed and into lectures easily) but after first year you'll probably have to go house hunting. King's Student Union is really good, very active, loads of things going on for different hobbies/interests so it's really about you getting stuck in and making the most of it yourself.

Also remember university is about learning, not being spoon fed information. Even though yes you are there to pass exams and gain a qualification, it's supposed to make you want to go further in your learning about a certain subject. Memorising lectures is one thing, but reading around your subject when you can really does increase your depth, and I think King's encourages this.

One more thing, the course at King's is being reconstructed and modified over the next few years to make it more clinically relevant so it might be different for when you come into uni (in a good way!).

Sorry for the essay haha, I'm pretty biased towards King's obvs, but now after speaking to UCL students and generally reflecting on my course over the past few years I'm quite glad I chose this university
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
3.85%
They might tell the bully (5)
9.62%
I don't think they'd understand (9)
17.31%
It might lead to more bullying (19)
36.54%
There's nothing they could do (17)
32.69%

Watched Threads