Dr Cobbold
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am sitting my GCSE in maths in a few months and I am currently working at an A grade but I really want to get an A*. I was wondering if there is any advice that can help me achieve this.
Btw I am doing my exam board is Edexcel

Posted from TSR Mobile
turn-to-page394
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do a ton of past papers as they tend to have a similar question format time and time again (at least with igcse edexcel that seemed to be the case) so just do loads until it feels repetitive!
Maybe make a table with column headings as : paper date, a box for ticking off when you've done it, your mark/percentage, and topics you need to revise.
Then REVISE those topics that keep coming up as problematic - do extra questions from the textbook on these, ask your teacher if you don't understand them etc.
Good luck!
beckaroo7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do as many exam papers as you possibly can. When I was doing a levels/GCSE I had a thick book of all the past papers and answer booklets and did the questions.

I also made a table of each paper. The year a long the top, the question number along the side and in the boxes the answers I got for the questions. Eg, 6/8, 9/12 etc. I made sure these boxes were quite big, room for several answers for when I redid the papers. For the A* mark I needed 90% Overall (At a-level-I forget what the boundary is for GCSE). So I aimed to get 100% in the first several questions and to get high marks in the later questions. Based on this, after doing all the questions in the booklets, marking them, and writing the results in the table I Highlighted the boxes which I had done poorly in. I then went back and made a note of what these questions were about, and list them at the side. For example, I struggled with vectors mainly, and a few other things but vectors were the area I was losing the most marks on.

From here I redid the homework questions, and did questions in the text book and tried to understand the theory more and get extra practice done.

This helped get practice for the exam papers and let me know where my weak points were and get stronger in them. I did this over a long period, often doing the questions that I could do before I finished the course so that by the time the exam came I knew what I was doing. Hope this helps

Edit: Like the poster above said the same questions come up time and time again just in a different form with different numbers. The more you do and the more mark schemes you look at the easier and quicker you'll be able to answer the questions
Dr Cobbold
Rep:
?
(Original post by turn-to-page394)
Do a ton of past papers as they tend to have a similar question format time and time again (at least with igcse edexcel that seemed to be the case) so just do loads until it feels repetitive!
Maybe make a table with column headings as : paper date, a box for ticking off when you've done it, your mark/percentage, and topics you need to revise.
Then REVISE those topics that keep coming up as problematic - do extra questions from the textbook on these, ask your teacher if you don't understand them etc.
Good luck!
Thanks much appreciated. Did this particular technique work for you? & what grade did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
turn-to-page394
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dr Cobbold)
Thanks much appreciated. Did this particular technique work for you? & what grade did you get?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah it worked for me. Along with reading through my class notes the night before the exam because I'm a short-term memory learner - if you're not, I don't recommend.

I had my exam in January (took it early) so was able to concentrate on maths over the christmas break although I probably should've revised for my mocks as well.

Got an A* so whoop.

Hope my 'past paper overload' method works for you as well! (It worked for the rest of my class as well so it seems to be good!)
Dr Cobbold
Rep:
?
(Original post by turn-to-page394)
Yeah it worked for me. Along with reading through my class notes the night before the exam because I'm a short-term memory learner - if you're not, I don't recommend.

I had my exam in January (took it early) so was able to concentrate on maths over the christmas break although I probably should've revised for my mocks as well.

Got an A* so whoop.

Hope my 'past paper overload' method works for you as well! (It worked for the rest of my class as well so it seems to be good!)
Thanks once again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dr Cobbold
Rep:
?
(Original post by beckaroo7)
Do as many exam papers as you possibly can. When I was doing a levels/GCSE I had a thick book of all the past papers and answer booklets and did the questions.

I also made a table of each paper. The year a long the top, the question number along the side and in the boxes the answers I got for the questions. Eg, 6/8, 9/12 etc. I made sure these boxes were quite big, room for several answers for when I redid the papers. For the A* mark I needed 90% Overall (At a-level-I forget what the boundary is for GCSE). So I aimed to get 100% in the first several questions and to get high marks in the later questions. Based on this, after doing all the questions in the booklets, marking them, and writing the results in the table I Highlighted the boxes which I had done poorly in. I then went back and made a note of what these questions were about, and list them at the side. For example, I struggled with vectors mainly, and a few other things but vectors were the area I was losing the most marks on.

From here I redid the homework questions, and did questions in the text book and tried to understand the theory more and get extra practice done.

This helped get practice for the exam papers and let me know where my weak points were and get stronger in them. I did this over a long period, often doing the questions that I could do before I finished the course so that by the time the exam came I knew what I was doing. Hope this helps

Edit: Like the poster above said the same questions come up time and time again just in a different form with different numbers. The more you do and the more mark schemes you look at the easier and quicker you'll be able to answer the questions
Thanks aswell. If you don't mind me asking what grade you were at this current time before you took your exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
beckaroo7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks aswell. If you don't mind me asking what grade you were at this current time before you took your exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure. I think before GCSE the last grade I got was a level 7.2, but it feels so long ago now. At GCSE​I got A* and A-level I got A*.
indigo2011
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am in the exact same situation I have been getting A's in maths for ages now but I really want an A* because I'm taking my maths GCSE in year 10 instead of year 11 so I really want to get the best grades because otherwise I might as well do it next year. I do lots of past papers I think I've done one of them three times now! I too recommend doing exercises out of your textbooks on topics you are unsure on then do another past paper to see if you improve.
I'm on Edexcel too.
I hope this all makes sense
User1443542
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Good luck!
I did a really similar thing with doing the papers, marks, and topics where I dropped marks. I think I did every single paper out there for IGCSE maths with edexcel, and this method definitely works, atleast it did for me. I got 198/200 and got beaten for the highest raw mark in my class (he got 199/200)
Lauren-x-
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing edexcel too! I've done a couple of past papers (exam conditions) and then revised the topics of the questions I got wrong. This Easter, I'm planning on doing past papers, self-marking, making notes on topics of wrong questions, do worksheets on wrong questions and them more past papers! I've got the cpg/cgp(?) workbook and exam-style papers so I don't run out of questions. Got 90% in my mocks

This method works for me, I think it's about 80% for A* at GCSE. All you can do is try

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dr Cobbold
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lauren-x-)
I'm doing edexcel too! I've done a couple of past papers (exam conditions) and then revised the topics of the questions I got wrong. This Easter, I'm planning on doing past papers, self-marking, making notes on topics of wrong questions, do worksheets on wrong questions and them more past papers! I've got the cpg/cgp(?) workbook and exam-style papers so I don't run out of questions. Got 90% in my mocks

This method works for me, I think it's about 80% for A* at GCSE. All you can do is try

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks. I think I will the table method for the sciences aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
frances98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got an A* and tbh i didn't work too much for it but i was doing further maths so that helped. Just do as many past papers as you can. Also try a lot of the end questions because they're the hardest, the first questions in the exams are ridiculously easy!
AR_95
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I didn't work or revise for my GCSE maths AT ALL rofl

Got an A*

A level maths is different I scraped a B cause I didnt work
Leah3852
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am sitting my GCSE in maths in a few months and I am currently working at an A grade but I really want to get an A*. I was wondering if there is any advice that can help me achieve this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doing past papers is very important, but make sure you find out how to do any questions you get wrong and why the answer you submitted is wrong. I recommend the YouTube channels hegartymaths as he goes through basically all the topics in maths, and 'achievemaths' - he goes through past papers and A/A* topics.

To get an A* there shouldn't be any topic that you're not confident on. Also I'd say you may feel complacent at the beginning of the test when doing the C/B grade questions but try hard to make sure you get them 100% because these easier questions are worth 50 marks altogether and if you can get them all right your up to a 'B' already and an A* will be much more likely
Fallen99
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Past papers and loads and loads of practice, if you are already on A I am sure with more practice you will surely achieve an A*
Dr Cobbold
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leah3852)
Doing past papers is very important, but make sure you find out how to do any questions you get wrong and why the answer you submitted is wrong. I recommend the YouTube channels hegartymaths as he goes through basically all the topics in maths, and 'achievemaths' - he goes through past papers and A/A* topics.

To get an A* there shouldn't be any topic that you're not confident on. Also I'd say you may feel complacent at the beginning of the test when doing the C/B grade questions but try hard to make sure you get them 100% because these easier questions are worth 50 marks altogether and if you can get them all right your up to a 'B' already and an A* will be much more likely
Thanks "achieve maths" is really useful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Phantom reader
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
At the moment I am working at grade A* in Maths but this is from constant revision, It is vital to do past papers because Maths never changes so if you get the hang of how to answer what types of questions you will find it much easier in the exams.

Don't just do the past papers and put them aside get them marked and then highlight the topics you got wrong and revise those. I usually do 30 minute maths every night when i finish my main revision so i do 1 topic per night which i am finding very useful.

here are two websites that will help

1)www.hegartymaths.com you can create a checklist to track your progress and watch really helpful videos.

2)http://www.corbettmaths.com - There's something called 5-a-day which i recommend doing daily. Also you will find very useful worksheets so you can work on specific topics.

If you use these websites well you will increase your chances of achieving A*. Good luck(I'm doing Edexcel aswell)
Dr Cobbold
Rep:
?
(Original post by Phantom reader)
At the moment I am working at grade A* in Maths but this is from constant revision, It is vital to do past papers because Maths never changes so if you get the hang of how to answer what types of questions you will find it much easier in the exams.

Don't just do the past papers and put them aside get them marked and then highlight the topics you got wrong and revise those. I usually do 30 minute maths every night when i finish my main revision so i do 1 topic per night which i am finding very useful.

here are two websites that will help

1)www.hegartymaths.com you can create a checklist to track your progress and watch really helpful videos.

2)http://www.corbettmaths.com - There's something called 5-a-day which i recommend doing daily. Also you will find very useful worksheets so you can work on specific topics.

If you use these websites well you will increase your chances of achieving A*. Good luck(I'm doing Edexcel aswell)
Thank you so much. Hopefully I can get an A* aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
#sarahsmith2
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Like the others have said... Practice practice practice! Corbett maths is amazing... I've been doing the 5 a day since September and it really does help with keeping all the topics fresh in your mind... Make sure you understand how to do everything and focus on A* level questions (I can send you a list if you like)

Feel free to PM me with any topics you're struggling with and I can go through them with you - I'm on an A* and with all the effort I've put in I'd be devastated if I didn't get this at the end of the year... Good luck! Hope you can move up!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.29%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.92%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.79%

Watched Threads