The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmallTownGirl
I've just googled it and found people who referred to Elliot Rodgers as a terrorist...

According to people in this thread he can't be a terrorist because it's not politically motivated.

QueenBee's point, which is an elaboration on my own, is that there's a double-standard born from prejudice on the reporting of news and how those who subscribe to those media outlets view the same situation differently based on how it is worded.
Reply 41
This thread is so depressing.

He's not been called a terrorist because there were no signs to suggest it was terrorism. You're extremely naive if you believe that nobody thought 'Probably terrorism' when it was first reported a plane had crashed. Lots of people thought it, but of course the media won't report that straight away?

It's coming across like you're annoyed that someone was correctly NOT labelled a terrorist. People like you are the reason race is such a big issue. Ironically it is those who are so actively 'anti-racism' that are actually the reason so many people argue about race. Chill out. The white man wasn't a terrorist, maybe next time, ey?
Reply 42
Original post by Daenerys...
According to people in this thread he can't be a terrorist because it's not politically motivated.

Are you on a wind up, or really just that thick?

I'll post it again (and even make it big for you). The definition of terrorism:

"noun

the unofficial or unauthorized use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims."

I've even go so far as to underline the relevant part of the definition in case you were struggling.

Original post by HAnwar
Because that word is designed for Muslims.
No. But Muslim groups seem to make up the majority of terrorist organisations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_designated_terrorist_organizations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_charities_accused_of_ties_to_terrorism
(edited 9 years ago)
'****'?

QueenBee's point, which is an elaboration on my own, is that there's a double-standard born from prejudice on the reporting of news and how those who subscribe to those media outlets view the same situation differently based on how it is worded.

That's because that's the definition of a terrorist.

"A person who uses violent and intimidating methods in the pursuit of political aims; esp. a member of a clandestine or expatriate organization aiming to coerce an established government by acts of violence against it or its subjects." - OED
Original post by queen-bee
x

Please don't turn this into another one of your stupid white hatred race threads. You'll lose. Again.
I don't remember Anders breivik being called a terrorist even tho he belonged to a dangerous right wing group/had extreme views.

Of course Breivik was labelled a terrorist.
Reply 48
Original post by PopaPork
Definition of terrorism in English:
noun
[mass noun]
The unofficial or unauthorized use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims: the fight against terrorism international terrorism

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/terrorism

Definition of terrorist in English:
noun
A person who uses terrorism in the pursuit of political aims:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/terrorist

When talking about crimes then statutory definitions are often he best to use, the definition of terrorism in our law comes from the terrorism act 2000. S.1(1)(b) and (c) say

'(B) the use or threat is designed to influence the government (or an international governmental organisation) or to intimidate the public or a section of the public, and

(C) the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious or ideological cause'

Without this definition then there would be certain acts of terrorism that would never have been classified as terrorism

Original post by Wade-

Without this definition then there would be certain acts of terrorism that would never have been classified as terrorism

Fair enough but this still isn't terrorism nor should he be called a terrorist
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Please don't turn this into another one of your stupid white hatred race threads. You'll lose. Again.

she can't help herself
Original post by Schrödingers Cat

i didn't know I had to adhere to your rules. I'll say what I like,if you don't like it,I can't help you.
Fair enough but this still isn't terrorism nor should he be called a terrorist

Says the person who's obsessed with all things islam and arabs in general

It's not even worth the hassle.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Oh right. So first you say that no white person has been called a terrorist (people have referred to George W. Bush as a terrorist) and then you retract that and say only white muslims... Me thinks you're talking out of your arse.

So bush and Blair are both terrorists? I wonder why they are still living free..
Because he wasn't terrorising anyone. Semantic use of language perhaps, but correct.

From a previous thread of mine:

- White terrorists are part of a “fringe.” Other terrorists are apparently mainstream.

- White terrorists are “troubled loners.”

- White terrorists are random events, like tornadoes. Other terrorists are long-running conspiracies.

- Nobody thinks white terrorists are typical of white people. But other terrorists are considered paragons of their societies

- White terrorists are alcoholics, addicts or mentally ill. Other terrorists are apparently clean-living and perfectly sane.

- White terrorists are called “gunmen.” What does that even mean? A person with a gun? Wouldn’t that be, like, everyone in the US?

IRA. End of discussion.
Reply 56
Since when is 'terrorist' so profane that it has to be shorted to 'the t-word'?
Says the person who's obsessed with all things islam and arabs in general

Not Arabs so don't flatter yourself but a bit racist to imply all muslims are Arabs
Reply 58
Original post by Exon
Since when is 'terrorist' so profane that it has to be shorted to 'the t-word'?

When you become so liberal that you actually feel guilty for only drinking white milk.
Not Arabs so don't flatter yourself but a bit racist to imply all muslims are Arabs

You're a xenobe,I have had to deal with you in the past. I didn't imply anything.

Latest

Trending

Trending