The Student Room Group

Late consideration of become a barrister - thoughts?

I graduated in 2012 with a law degree and have since been travelling etc. I now work in finance in the City and was looking at applying for training contracts this year now that I am settled.

My ambition was to become a solicitor so I obtained quite a few legal work placements (including an internship with the CPS) but most of my placements were with commercial firms.

However, over the last year and a half I have been involved in a criminal court case (won't go into details but I was quickly found not-guilty after a trial - explains the delay in applying for the law).

Rather than put me off law it has actually inspired me to consider the Bar. The whole experience was fascinating (in a weird way considering I was the focus of it).

Is it too late to consider becoming a barrister?

Could I perhaps use this experience to my advantage when applying? It's quite a unique insight but obviously there is a risk some people might think "oh they must be a bad apple to have been involved in such a thing".
Unusual post!

I don't quite know what to say! I think I would probably try and get hold of a couple of barristers and ask them what they think off the record.

I am inferring that you are interested in the criminal bar? If so, please do a lot of research before you go there - it is hugely under pressure and I believe shrinking rather rapidly.

Presumably you won't need to declare your experience given that you have been found not guilty. Therefore, are you better off not using it as a selling point? Is the fact that you have stood trial for a criminal act (and been found not guilty) really going to work in your favour?

Perhaps stick this query onto ROF as well - if you dare.

Your original question, is it too late to become a barrister - of course not. They are on average 29 I believe in any case. Don't worry about that! I expect you are more - ahem - well-rounded now, and a much more useful person to have about - good luck whatever you decide

Original post by O'Doyle Rules
I graduated in 2012 with a law degree and have since been travelling etc. I now work in finance in the City and was looking at applying for training contracts this year now that I am settled.

My ambition was to become a solicitor so I obtained quite a few legal work placements (including an internship with the CPS) but most of my placements were with commercial firms.

However, over the last year and a half I have been involved in a criminal court case (won't go into details but I was quickly found not-guilty after a trial - explains the delay in applying for the law).

Rather than put me off law it has actually inspired me to consider the Bar. The whole experience was fascinating (in a weird way considering I was the focus of it).

Is it too late to consider becoming a barrister?

Could I perhaps use this experience to my advantage when applying? It's quite a unique insight but obviously there is a risk some people might think "oh they must be a bad apple to have been involved in such a thing".
Original post by happyinthehaze
Unusual post!

I don't quite know what to say! I think I would probably try and get hold of a couple of barristers and ask them what they think off the record.

I am inferring that you are interested in the criminal bar? If so, please do a lot of research before you go there - it is hugely under pressure and I believe shrinking rather rapidly.

Presumably you won't need to declare your experience given that you have been found not guilty. Therefore, are you better off not using it as a selling point? Is the fact that you have stood trial for a criminal act (and been found not guilty) really going to work in your favour?

Perhaps stick this query onto ROF as well - if you dare.

Your original question, is it too late to become a barrister - of course not. They are on average 29 I believe in any case. Don't worry about that! I expect you are more - ahem - well-rounded now, and a much more useful person to have about - good luck whatever you decide

It is a bit of an odd one and indeed there is no 'selling point'. However, it is probably the biggest insight I have had into the profession and court process!

With regards to making applications, my internship with the CPS was a few years ago so I'm not sure if I could be grilled on commitment to the profession? Working in London now I am not sure if it is possible to gain 'experience' as I am in full-time work"
Oh yeh I forgot you had your CPS thing - my advice is, go to some evening networking type thing with chambers and ask one. Or - find one who is an expert in the area of law you think you may have an advantage in because of your experience and ask them for their frank advice. I think you need to get to the 'frank' bit with people who do the job you want. IMHO barristers are very helpful to people who are trying to get in so I reckon if you track some down they will assist

Original post by O'Doyle Rules
It is a bit of an odd one and indeed there is no 'selling point'. However, it is probably the biggest insight I have had into the profession and court process!

With regards to making applications, my internship with the CPS was a few years ago so I'm not sure if I could be grilled on commitment to the profession? Working in London now I am not sure if it is possible to gain 'experience' as I am in full-time work"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending