Goods
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago

The first two are trivial standard results. However i'm unsure how to approach the remainder.

For the coefficients to be zero we need f(x)cos(n*pi*x/l) or f(x)sin(n*pi*x/l) to be odd within the period |x|< l .

for instance in c) without knowing the parity of f(x)=f(pi-x) I'm not sure where to go.
Attached files
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Goods)

The first two are trivial standard results. However i'm unsure how to approach the remainder.

For the coefficients to be zero we need f(x)cos(n*pi*x/l) or f(x)sin(n*pi*x/l) to be odd within the period |x|< l .

for instance in c) without knowing the parity of f(x)=f(pi-x) I'm not sure where to go.
for practical purposes these symmetries are almost useless... I personally never learned them.
if you want to derive them think of the compound angle for sine and cosine
Goods
Rep:
?
(Original post by TeeEm)
for practical purposes these symmetries are almost useless... I personally never learned them.
if you want to derive them think of the compound angle for sine and cosine
Doing that would give me whether or not the trig term was odd or even for given values of n. But if i don't know where f(x) is odd or even I still can't say if an or bn would be zero?
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Note that if you know \sum_0^\infty a_n \cos nx + b_n \sin nx = \sum_0^\infty c_n \cos nx+ d_n \sin nx, then we must have

a_n = c_n, \, b_n = d_n \forall n. This should be enough for you to finish the question.
Goods
Rep:
?
(Original post by DFranklin)
Note that if you know \sum_0^\infty a_n \cos nx + b_n \sin nx = \sum_0^\infty c_n \cos nx+ d_n \sin nx, then we must have

a_n = c_n, \, b_n = d_n \forall n. This should be enough for you to finish the question.
*What i suggested was wrong will try again*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Goods
Rep:
?
(Original post by DFranklin)

I feel I must be missing something really obvious.. could you hint where to go?
rayquaza17
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Goods)
I feel I must be missing something really obvious.. could you hint where to go?
I think DFranklin is meaning if you write out the series for f(x) and the series for [in part c, for example] f(pi-x) and set them equal, the coefficients must be the same. But you can simplify f(pi-x) [like sin(pi-x)=sin(x)] so this should help you see what the coefficients are.

So you basically write out the full series for [eg] f(x)=f(pi-x). f(x) is already written out for you in the question, and just change the x to pi-x to write out the series for f(pi-x).
Goods
Rep:
?
Thanks so much for the help I can see how to to work them out them now!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads