An unconditional offer for international student without language requirement,normal? Watch

slayer man
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi there ..,

Someone from a country where English is not the first language has got 3 messages from the university of glasgow and all of them are the same ( unconditional offers for the same program). He was skeptical about them as the university did not ask him for language test and has offered him a direct entry to the master degree. He sent a message to postgraduate admissions staff and they confirm that he has been offered an unconditional offer. The student's previous degree has been taught and examined in English (6 years course) and he graduated with high GPA score ( excellence with second class honour). Also, he has achieved about 5 certificates of academic distinction from the manager of the university in his own home country.

He asked me , is it normal for the university to waive English requirements for some selected students ? Will the university write that in the CAS statement to facilitate the process of applying for Tier 4 visa? Can he apply for the visa without language certificate as he may be considered by the university as a gifted student ?

Could you please help me to answer him these questions ?

Thanks.
KarlK
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm a foreign student and I got an unconditional offer as well. So it certainly happens. Flawless PS combined with top grades in English did the trick, I suppose.

I'm from the EU, though, so I can't answer your visa-related questions. My guess, anyway, is that your friend won't need anything other than being accepted into a UK uni to get his visa.
slayer man
Rep:
?
Dear Karlk ..,,

Thank you so much for your replay.

Could please tell what is the mother language of your country ? English?

Have you studied the courses of your previous degree in English ? or you mean that you have scored high marks in the English subjects ?

My friend told me that he has read that universities have the right to waive English requirements if they consider the student as a gifted one. This information is written in the UK Home Office guide, he says. I think that this may be another reason.
KarlK
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I applied for undergrad studies.

My country's language is not English. I haven't undertaken any education in English.
slayer man
Rep:
?
Thank you so so much my dear. Your responses are very helpful. I'll reassure my friend ^_^. Good luck with your studies.
Snake_Doctor
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Best bet is to email the admissions office, or better yet phone them (language barriers accepted).
slayer man
Rep:
?
Hi dear ..,

My friend told me that he sent them a message and he asked them whether his offer is an unconditional one. One of the missions office staff replied saying that he can confirm that the offer is unconditional. My friend understood that they certainly have waived the English language requirements.Otherwise, the university will never award him an unconditional offer. He said that he has read in his offer that the university will issue CAS statements for all students with an unconditional offer.The CAS statement should mention how the Uni. have evaluated the English language ability and depending on it , he can apply for the visa. He said that during filling the application form for visa, you will be asked about how your language has been evaluated and there are many choices you can select. Other than English test , there is another choice stating that the university have waived the English requirement as you have been considered as a gifted student or the university have evaluated you according to their own special standards and crateria. In short, he said that the university certainly have granted him an unconditional offer and said that they will issue CAS statement as they know well what are the justfications they will write under language section in the CAS statement. What do you think my brother? Is this explanation reasonable?
Snake_Doctor
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Seems entirely reasonable to me yes.

The UK has lows covering most professions, so you cant start work without an english test, this gives the university greater flexibility in allowing people who speak english moderately less fluently to enter.

I would strongly point out though, that anyone here should have good conversational english as few peoplein the UK are fluent in second languages.
slayer man
Rep:
?
Thank you very much my brother for your swift replay. My friend will study master degree and return to his home country , I don't think he will work in the UK. This could makes it more reasonable for the university to grant him this offer in addition to the fact that he is an A student with up to 5 academic destinction certificates. What do you think?
Snake_Doctor
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sounds good to me. If the uni are happy and he is happy, go for it!
slayer man
Rep:
?
Hhhhhh. Thank you for your kind words
Mustapha_
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Actually I am in the same situation..I received unconditional offers without the IELTS scores...Am from Kenya and would like to know if your friend finally made it without the English Certification...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
66.29%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.71%

Watched Threads