The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
bun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Blue Meltwater)
I also think that's wrong - it's tantamount to torture.
Don't personally see much wrong with torture (off the books) if it means you get information more quickly and can then save other people's lives because of this.
If you arrest a serial killer / terrorist, and you know they're working as part of a small group that are likely to carry out further attacks / the prisoners themselves have admitted that arresting them won't stop further attacks etc, I think it's a policeman's job to do whatever he has to to get that information as quickly as possible to better protect the public.
Blue Meltwater
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
Don't personally see much wrong with torture (off the books) if it means you get information more quickly and can then save other people's lives because of this.
But, moral issues aside, information gained from torture is inherently unreliable - you can get people to say anything under torture.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by James Milibanter)
He was a social liberal, he sought to maximize autonomy, freedom of choice, emphasizing political freedom, voluntary association and the primacy of individual judgement.

You have no idea what my ideology is, let's get that straight.
....lol.

None of that means he is a social liberal. He was one of the first liberals; ergo a classical liberal. Social liberalism arises in the 19th century.

Irrespective; you're a Green and thus believe in a reasonably large state.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
....lol.

None of that means he is a social liberal. He was one of the first liberals; ergo a classical liberal. Social liberalism arises in the 19th century.
  1. Social liberalism is a political ideology that seeks to find a balance between individual liberty and social justice.

James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
Irrespective; you're a Green and thus believe in a reasonably large state.
Wrong again.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
There is always a debate to be had over a state's role but I think white treatment for the duration of a normal life sentence would be widely accepted as moral.
You are just plain scary. I can't believe there are educated people on this forum who support the death penalty, but to go so far as to advocate the torture (and yes it absolutely is torture) of prisoners?! It is truly terrifying to think there are people out there who honestly believe it is acceptable to treat other humans in this way.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Blue Meltwater)
The US punishes the killing of people by killing a person. Right.
Sounds good!
(Original post by RayApparently)
I'm sure many people don't deserve their lives, I'm not so sure that the state should be killing them.
I'll kill them if you need! Just drop me a PM with names, and I'll send you a quote!
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
I'll kill them if you need! Just drop me a PM with names, and I'll send you a quote!
Lol, in a morbid sort of way...
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
You are just plain scary. I can't believe there are educated people on this forum who support the death penalty, but to go so far as to advocate the torture (and yes it absolutely is torture) of prisoners?! It is truly terrifying to think there are people out there who honestly believe it is acceptable to treat other humans in this way.
I'm sorry, but I agree with Nigel on this one - it's not like we're starting this. If they want to treat people like they do, then they themselves don't deserve to be treated as a human
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm sorry, but I agree with Nigel on this one - it's not like we're starting this. If they want to treat people like they do, then they themselves don't deserve to be treated as a human
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth...
Snufkin
Report 4 years ago
This isn't a playground fight, it shouldn't matter who started it or what the guilty party did. Do you seriously believe an eye for an eye is justice? Torture is cruel, inhumane and vicious - it damages society and reduces our humanity. Do you really have so little compassion for your fellow man?
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We must realise these people are not like you or me, these people are animals who do not deserve the privileges we enjoy. I advocated the death penalty, and in some cases I still do, but the though of killing innocent people puts me off. White treatment mentally affects people by causing some hallucinations when they are alone, however, it does not physically damage people, the prisoners would still receive breaks from it when it comes to social time or group feeding, and innocent people could be removed if new evidence arose proving their innocence. I view it as a morally acceptable punishment for people who have committed the worst crimes in society.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This isn't a playground fight, it shouldn't matter who started it or what the guilty party did. Do you seriously believe an eye for an eye is justice? Torture is cruel, inhumane and vicious - it damages society and reduces our humanity. Do you really have so little compassion for your fellow man?
Torture does my humanity no damage. Ruthless acts are required for the defense of the realm.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you really have so little compassion for your fellow man?
Someone that does things which bring me to think they deserve torture and death is no man. Therefore I have no compassion, respect, or thought of his wellbeing.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Someone that does things which bring me to think they deserve torture and death is no man. Therefore I have no compassion, respect, or thought of his wellbeing.
But you should try and understand them not just persecute them.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
But you should try and understand them not just persecute them.
There's nothing about them I want to understand, expect for what they want written on their gravestone:

Either:
"I'm a horrible ****" or "I'm a ****ing horrible ****"
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's nothing about them I want to understand, expect for what they want written on their gravestone:

Either:
"I'm a horrible ****" or "I'm a ****ing horrible ****"
But if you work out the why you can stop other people.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
But if you work out the why you can stop other people.
When did I leave Earth and go into fairy land?
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When did I leave Earth and go into fairy land?
Am I a fox or a fairy???
Actaeon
Badges: 11
Report 4 years ago
But you see, that puts you on exactly the same level as them
Terrorists are happy to kill and torture people because they've dehumanised the enemy. Now you're happy to kill and torture in turn because you've done precisely the same thing. It's because we're not terrorists that we don't sink to their level.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (117)
63.59%
No (67)
36.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed