The Student Room Group

How long do you think the Upheavel in the middle east will end

How long do you think the Upheavel in the middlfe east will end. And Why?
Original post by SK7866
How long do you think the Upheavel in the middlfe east will end. And Why?

Never as it's been going on for centuries
Never.
Reply 3
It won't. These people are not capable of governing themselves on the whole.

Frankly, they'd have been better off if we'd never left half of them.
It will definitely end after Benjamin Netanyahu kisses Ali Khamenei passionately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
With the new joint Arab force, Egypt's leader says they are fighting terrorists but also need to fight against Western intervention in the Middle East. It's going to be long, big and bloody I reckon. Massive ramifications!
It will end when ultimately we as in the west stop interfering in that region and pull out completely and until the people are fit enough govern themselves.
Original post by R£SP£CT
It will end when ultimately we as in the west stop interfering in that region and pull out completely and until the people are fit enough govern themselves.

In that case, why did Islamic State take over Iraq after the US pulled all its troops from the place?
tbh it will end in tears.
Reply 9
Never, the ME is a designated moshpit.
Original post by felamaslen
In that case, why did Islamic State take over Iraq after the US pulled all its troops from the place?

The issue of ISIS is a highly contentious one. Their sudden appearance from quite frankly nothing has raised several eye brows. I hate dwelling on conspiracy theories but something is definitely out of the ordinary with them. That's for another day though.

What we can understand is that the dire state post 2003, allowed rogue militias like 'Islamic' state to take advantage. They took advantage of the increased sectarianism(already present)post western involvement in Iraq. This only served to fuel their rise to power. What didn't help was the western backed Maliki and his treatment of his sunni counterparts which ultimately led to Sunni revolts in Iraq, and with Assad fomenting destruction next door, everything erupted. Had the west not intervened, and not created the artificial borders in the first place, we would have seen a different course of events.
I'd be surprised if the answer doesn't turn out to be at least decades.
Original post by R£SP£CT
The issue of ISIS is a highly contentious one. Their sudden appearance from quite frankly nothing has raised several eye brows. I hate dwelling on conspiracy theories but something is definitely out of the ordinary with them. That's for another day though.

What we can understand is that the dire state post 2003, allowed rogue militias like 'Islamic' state to take advantage. They took advantage of the increased sectarianism(already present)post western involvement in Iraq. This only served to fuel their rise to power. What didn't help was the western backed Maliki and his treatment of his sunni counterparts which ultimately led to Sunni revolts in Iraq, and with Assad fomenting destruction next door, everything erupted. Had the west not intervened, and not created the artificial borders in the first place, we would have seen a different course of events.

And had a Tyrannosaurus Rex taken a **** in a different direction 65 million years ago, maybe we'd be living in a different world today.

There comes a point where you have to blame the people committing the actual crimes. Clearly the objective of jihadists is to create an Islamic state, whether or not the USA has any involvement in the country they operate in.

What would you say about Boko Haram? Can the West be blamed for that also, in your opinion?
Original post by R£SP£CT

I don't think it's out of the question to ask how ISIS got so big and done so much so quick.

How the hell could our intelligence services etc. not have known about them sooner, before they managed to get to this point. It's complete BS, they knew who they were and they knew what was going to happen, how could they not, you just have to wonder why.

Edit: now that I think, I've read it before and just read it again, ISIS were always around, but we knew them as pretty much Al Qaeda even though they were two separate entities.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by felamaslen
And had a Tyrannosaurus Rex taken a **** in a different direction 65 million years ago, maybe we'd be living in a different world today.

There comes a point where you have to blame the people committing the actual crimes. Clearly the objective of jihadists is to create an Islamic state, whether or not the USA has any involvement in the country they operate in.

What would you say about Boko Haram? Can the West be blamed for that also, in your opinion?

No one is absolving ISIS of any blame. They bare ultimately repsonsibility for their actions. Having said that however, the whole truth involves the west. For their to be an indepth and thorough analysis of these events then we need not only look at what is happening today, but what has transpired in the last century or so. The middle east pre-1900, albeit not in the best of conditions, was a much better place for the arabs to dwell in, compared to today. Granted that this was not a state of perfection and not to be venerated as such but point being that they were better off. What the west deliberately mistook greater rights/freedoms as pan arab nationalism, western europe essentially disembowelled an entire body, the pain of which was to be felt decades later. Whilst they did want greater rights and freedom, they didn't want it at the cost of their religious beliefs. ISIS alongside the rest of middle eastern ilk are the illegitimate children of western colonialism. You can argue all you want about "Jihadists", but the crux of the issue lies with the western inteference in the middle east. We prop up dictator regimes in the middle east and yet we want to 'save' the arabs from terrorists? ISIS are using American gear to spread their ilk across the levant. USA trained Iraqi forces deserted their posts amid the advancing of a few ISIS brutes. The USA backed Maliki into government and received a warm welcome into the whitehouse. Saudi Arabia are now the biggest importers of weapons worldwide, with the west being the biggest beneficaries. The same weapons of which are being used to slaughter innocent Yemenese populous. I could go on. We are playing with the middle east as if it was some sick twisted game. Of course the west will never openly admit this, but I believe in time things will slowly be revealed. A scandal as big as this will never go unnoticed in history.
Reply 15
People who are saying never are ignoring we had a similar transition, the European continent has had bloodshed for centuries, especially during the Protest Reformation, heck it's still somewhat going on in Northern Ireland.
Original post by R£SP£CT
No one is absolving ISIS of any blame. They bare ultimately repsonsibility for their actions. Having said that however, the whole truth involves the west. For their to be an indepth and thorough analysis of these events then we need not only look at what is happening today, but what has transpired in the last century or so. The middle east pre-1900, albeit not in the best of conditions, was a much better place for the arabs to dwell in, compared to today. Granted that this was not a state of perfection and not to be venerated as such but point being that they were better off. What the west deliberately mistook greater rights/freedoms as pan arab nationalism, western europe essentially disembowelled an entire body, the pain of which was to be felt decades later. Whilst they did want greater rights and freedom, they didn't want it at the cost of their religious beliefs. ISIS alongside the rest of middle eastern ilk are the illegitimate children of western colonialism. You can argue all you want about "Jihadists", but the crux of the issue lies with the western inteference in the middle east. We prop up dictator regimes in the middle east and yet we want to 'save' the arabs from terrorists? ISIS are using American gear to spread their ilk across the levant. USA trained Iraqi forces deserted their posts amid the advancing of a few ISIS brutes. The USA backed Maliki into government and received a warm welcome into the whitehouse. Saudi Arabia are now the biggest importers of weapons worldwide, with the west being the biggest beneficaries. The same weapons of which are being used to slaughter innocent Yemenese populous. I could go on. We are playing with the middle east as if it was some sick twisted game. Of course the west will never openly admit this, but I believe in time things will slowly be revealed. A scandal as big as this will never go unnoticed in history.

I don't think your wrong but the arms industry is something nobody likes to talk about it even though their aware. And that still does not solve the problem.. these people can't govern themselves. If we leave, there will be anarchy.
Original post by whorace
People who are saying never are ignoring we had a similar transition, the European continent has had bloodshed for centuries, especially during the Protest Reformation, heck it's still somewhat going on in Northern Ireland.

Yeah... and we were slaughtering each other until WW2.
Reply 18
Original post by Rakas21
Yeah... and we were slaughtering each other until WW2.

We all got sick of it after the nutty leaders offed themselves :biggrin:
Original post by whorace
We all got sick of it after the nutty leaders offed themselves :biggrin:

Well we had a common enemy and a common ally who believed in capitalism.

At any rate, we can't leave them to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending