Selection of a university for Masters in Broadcast Journalism Watch

rhythm92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
For Masters in Broadcast Journalism, I have already received an offer letter from the following universities:
a) Cardiff - MA International Journalism
b) Sheffield - MA Broadcast Journalism
c) Westminster - MA Multimedia Broadcast Journalism
d) Goldsmiths - MA TV Journalism

Although I really like the course at Westminster and have heard good things about Goldsmiths, I would like to know your view on which university would be the best amongst the above from a job and training perspective.
Tcannon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am not a journalism major, but I know a young woman who did Sociology with Journalism. Her interest was broadcast and she reckoned MA J Cardiff and Sheffield were good fits. Her other choice was City. They are technical & practical and some lecturers come from media.

I know non Journalism postgrads at Westminster and they complained that the prospectus and website look good, the course itself underperforms.
mitsubishi13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The MA International Journalism at Cardiff isn't BJTC accredited, though their MA Broadcast Journalism is.
mitsubishi13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My friend is currently doing the MA Multimedia Journalism (Print and Online pathway) at Westminster and he says the course is too basic and he doesn't like it. Both pathways at Westminster share a few modules, but the broadcast assignments were more challenging. I'll be doing the MA Broadcast Journalism at Sheffield this year, and have been accepted to Cardiff's Int'l Journalism program, but I'm keen on doing only a BJTC accredited one. So if they don't consider my application for Broadcast Journalism
, I'm considering Sheffield. Also, City University's Broadcast course is highly regarded.
rhythm92
Rep:
?
(Original post by mitsubishi13)
My friend is currently doing the MA Multimedia Journalism (Print and Online pathway) at Westminster and he says the course is too basic and he doesn't like it. Both pathways at Westminster share a few modules, but the broadcast assignments were more challenging. I'll be doing the MA Broadcast Journalism at Sheffield this year, and have been accepted to Cardiff's Int'l Journalism program, but I'm keen on doing only a BJTC accredited one. So if they don't consider my application for Broadcast Journalism
, I'm considering Sheffield. Also, City University's Broadcast course is highly regarded.
You are absolutely right about Cardiff not offering Broadcast Journalism course to international students which is also one of the reasons why I would rather opt for Sheffields or Goldsmiths ......City is really good too except there are too many students in one course and as their Broadcast Journo programme coordinator, Ms Linda Lewis has shifted to Goldsmiths recently, which has comparatively lesser number of students, I feel there would be a fairly good chance of networking and getting personal guidance from the professors......

I've heard Sheffield has one of the really reputed courses in the UK but the fact that it's really far from London is the real downside.....but yeah I'm confused between Sheffield and Goldsmiths and would decide one of them as my final option.
mitsubishi13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know it's away from London, but consider it's proximity to Manchester, where the BBC has shifted a large portion of it's broadcast to, at Media City UK. There isn't a shortage of work placements from the research I've done. Sheffield also organises a 3 day trip to London for all Journo students to the main HQs of broadcasters which is also great for networking.
mitsubishi13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Rhythm92, I'm from Mumbai in India. If u are joining the 2015 batch at Sheffield then do let me know.
rhythm92
Rep:
?
(Original post by mitsubishi13)
Rhythm92, I'm from Mumbai in India. If u are joining the 2015 batch at Sheffield then do let me know.
Yeah I've anyways put Sheffield as my first preference in my scholarship form....Thank you so much for all the help!

I'm from Mumbai too, let's hold a Skype chat sometime after 5th April if that's alright, send me a request @ rythma18 on Skype
username1518909
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rhythm92)
For Masters in Broadcast Journalism, I have already received an offer letter from the following universities:
a) Cardiff - MA International Journalism
b) Sheffield - MA Broadcast Journalism
c) Westminster - MA Multimedia Broadcast Journalism
d) Goldsmiths - MA TV Journalism

Although I really like the course at Westminster and have heard good things about Goldsmiths, I would like to know your view on which university would be the best amongst the above from a job and training perspective.
Not sure about Broadcast Journalism, but as far as I know, Goldsmiths has a pretty strong reputation for Media and Film in general - and is generally considered leading in those disciplines. You would also be part of the 'University of London' group, which might add some arbitrary weight to your degree.
rhythm92
Rep:
?
(Original post by JimmyLondon)
Not sure about Broadcast Journalism, but as far as I know, Goldsmiths has a pretty strong reputation for Media and Film in general - and is generally considered leading in those disciplines. You would also be part of the 'University of London' group, which might add some arbitrary weight to your degree.
Thank you for your response.....Yes,I've heard a lot of good things about Goldsmiths that they have creative and research focused courses....but it always comes down to this particular course that is Broadcast Journalism and none of the university rankings place Goldsmiths above Sheffield on that.....however, if you do know someone who's opted for TV Journalism at Goldsmiths, it would be great if I can get more details about this course from him/her.
mitsubishi13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Cardiff has asked me to give a written test and an interview after I submit my IELTS score for MA Broadcast Journalism. And I've been told that the test is going to comprise Welsh news and UK public administration news. Basically general news with a focus on Regional and national stories. So if that goes good, then I'll consider Cardiff instead of Sheffield
tazzad
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've opted for MA Journalism at Goldsmiths as my first choice- I really like that its smaller and has a more creative approach and is in London. Has anyone else put Goldsmiths as their first choice?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.36%
Not great so far... (229)
35.39%
I want to drop out! (126)
19.47%

Watched Threads