HMRC wanted account number? Watch

T.I.P
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So HMRC say I owe them money now when setting up a direct debit all you need to give is your bank card number and sort code.. they asked for was my actual account number and my sort code... No details of my card.. this doesnt seem right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
T.I.P
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile
lavender_rose
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hhmm, how were you notified of an over payment, email or letter or some other way?
Cerdic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Actually to make Direct Debits you do need account number and sort code see: http://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectD...gpayments.aspx
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by T.I.P)
So HMRC say I owe them money now when setting up a direct debit all you need to give is your bank card number and sort code.. they asked for was my actual account number and my sort code... No details of my card.. this doesnt seem right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Account + sort code for direct debits

Card number for standing orders.

The difference is that with a direct debt you are effectivly 'pushing' the money out of your account and into theirs. With a standing order they are 'pulling' the money out of your account. It means you have control over the amounts sent in a direct debit however the company 'pulling' the money in a standing order can change the amount. It's also much easier to cancel a direct debit as you have control over it.
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cerdic)
Actually to make Direct Debits you do need account number and sort code see: http://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectD...gpayments.aspx
I agree
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by T.I.P)

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did they get in contact with you to sort out direct debits- letter, phone, email?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
24.26%
No (178)
75.74%

Watched Threads