madeofcolour
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I would really like to study in Canada for uni.
My parents, however, would prefer I study in the UK because it's closer to home and less expensive. I don't live in the UK but my school uses the British schooling system so I have GCSEs/IGCSEs, AS and A2 levels.
I had a couple questions regarding both countries to study in.

1) Is studying in Canada worth it? I want to do Psychology but I'm not exactly aiming for anything major like Oxford or Cambridge..

2) What grades would get me a scholarship?
So far my grades are alright -
I took 8 (I)GCSEs:-
- Maths = A*
- English = A*
- Greek = A*
- English Lit = A
- Geography = A*
- Spanish = A*
- Economics = A
- Fine Art = A*
(so A*A*A*A*A*A*AA)

4 AS levels:-
- Maths = A*
- Biology = A
- Fine Art = A*
- English Literature = A
(so A*A*AA)

3 A2 levels (PREDICTIONS) =
-Maths = A*
-Biology = A
-Fine Art= A*
(so A*A*A)

Ive been working hard for a couple years now trying to get a scholarship to a Canadian university and I have no one to tell me how to do things, what I need or how to know whether I'll have a good chance for a scholarship or not.

3) What universities are good in the UK besides Cambridge or Oxford? I've looked at Southampton, Birmingham, Lancaster, UCL etc but how do I know which one is right for me? Or which one is good for a psychology major?

4) If I apply for a tuition loan in the UK am I also allowed to apply for a living cost loan or do I only have to choose one of the two?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP.
zero_gravity
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by madeofcolour)
I would really like to study in Canada for uni.
My parents, however, would prefer I study in the UK because it's closer to home and less expensive. I don't live in the UK but my school uses the British schooling system so I have GCSEs/IGCSEs, AS and A2 levels.
I had a couple questions regarding both countries to study in.

1) Is studying in Canada worth it? I want to do Psychology but I'm not exactly aiming for anything major like Oxford or Cambridge..

2) What grades would get me a scholarship?
So far my grades are alright -
I took 8 (I)GCSEs:-
- Maths = A*
- English = A*
- Greek = A*
- English Lit = A
- Geography = A*
- Spanish = A*
- Economics = A
- Fine Art = A*
(so A*A*A*A*A*A*AA)

4 AS levels:-
- Maths = A*
- Biology = A
- Fine Art = A*
- English Literature = A
(so A*A*AA)

3 A2 levels (PREDICTIONS) =
-Maths = A*
-Biology = A
-Fine Art= A*
(so A*A*A)

Ive been working hard for a couple years now trying to get a scholarship to a Canadian university and I have no one to tell me how to do things, what I need or how to know whether I'll have a good chance for a scholarship or not.

3) What universities are good in the UK besides Cambridge or Oxford? I've looked at Southampton, Birmingham, Lancaster, UCL etc but how do I know which one is right for me? Or which one is good for a psychology major?

4) If I apply for a tuition loan in the UK am I also allowed to apply for a living cost loan or do I only have to choose one of the two?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP.
Hi there.

I personally wouldn't suggest studying in Canada, especially for psychology, unless you are planning to stay or work in Canada. It will be costly and note that you will be taking an extra year than if you were at a UK university.

Scholarships for international students are generally available at Canadian universities. I would advise against applying to the top universities, since you will only get a minimal amount (unless you have phenomenal grades and something that you can offer them). However, there are other universities that offer a lot of scholarships to international students. You can check for undergraduate scholarships and awards for most Canadian universities at this link.

Note that it is possible to consider a year abroad in Canada, provided that the university that you apply for has it for your program. This would definitely be a cost-effective way of having the opportunity to study in Canada.

Hope that helps.
eloiseparry
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey

I’m an international business and marketing student in Glasgow, and was wondering if I could just ask you all a question for my dissertation:

When choosing to study at a UK University, what factors are most important in your decision?

Thanks
madeofcolour
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by eloiseparry)
Hey

I’m an international business and marketing student in Glasgow, and was wondering if I could just ask you all a question for my dissertation:

When choosing to study at a UK University, what factors are most important in your decision?

Thanks
The safety of the location of the university (whether the area is one of the top safest), what the ranking is for the subject I want to major in, what ranking the university is worldwide/nationwide, how good the accommodation is and what the cost of living in the area.
eloiseparry
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by madeofcolour)
The safety of the location of the university (whether the area is one of the top safest), what the ranking is for the subject I want to major in, what ranking the university is worldwide/nationwide, how good the accommodation is and what the cost of living in the area.
thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (119)
65.03%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
21.31%
Yes but I might change my mind (25)
13.66%

Watched Threads