Should I Do My A Levels At College? Watch

NickEgg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm 21 and thinking of going to college (maybe one in London? Can anyone recommend one?) to do my A levels in September. (I definitely want to do those and not an Access course).

However, I'm not sure if I should go to college at all or self study. Anyone else been to college at a mature student? Thanks
Butterfly92xo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did an online access course as a mature student with Distance Learning Centre. I never went to college to do access so I cannot recommend any but I am sure if you have a look around or find some recommendations from their websites or hotcourses I am sure you will find some suitable for your needs :-) good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
SuperCat007
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NickEgg)
I'm 21 and thinking of going to college (maybe one in London? Can anyone recommend one?) to do my A levels in September. (I definitely want to do those and not an Access course).

However, I'm not sure if I should go to college at all or self study. Anyone else been to college at a mature student? Thanks
It depends what subjects you want to do, as some have compulsory coursework which will make A-levels at home really hard.

I've done it as a mature student and it's tough, but there's no reason why you won't make friends with your course mates and enjoy it. You just have to have an open mind and remember that you're there for the A-levels, not the gripping and thrilling social life.
annie.bridges
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A friend of mine has been to college as a mature student and he has done really well. Obviously you may come across some immature people (not all) at some point who do not want to be there but if you work hard then you will be just fine. If you are looking to take a self study route I would recommend something similar to what I am doing myself at the moment. I am studying A'Level Biology and Chemistry with Home Study Zone and my course includes full tutor support which I find am grateful of. However, you do need to be quite self-motivated taking this option. [link removed by mod]
NickEgg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by SuperCat007)
It depends what subjects you want to do, as some have compulsory coursework which will make A-levels at home really hard.

I've done it as a mature student and it's tough, but there's no reason why you won't make friends with your course mates and enjoy it. You just have to have an open mind and remember that you're there for the A-levels, not the gripping and thrilling social life.
TBH I could self study myself, part of the reason I want to go is for social life (self studied myself before and did fine) as I never went to college before. Is it too late though?
SuperCat007
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
TBH I could self study myself, part of the reason I want to go is for social life (self studied myself before and did fine) as I never went to college before. Is it too late though?
It's never too late. But as I said you just have to remember that it is a FE college so the people may not be your cup of tea. Maybe they are and that's great. But I'd say if you're going for a social life then that's the wrong reason to go.
Pixelbark
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm going to buck against the trend on this thread and say it's too late.

Remember, you will be with 16-18 year olds. These guys are five years younger than you, there is a giant age gap. I went back to college myself at 22 and the social gap was alienating: these were kids that (very understandably) didn't have a clue what living outside of their parents were like, they didn't have a clue how to control their money, most of them had never held a job (so didn't have a clue about the real world), liked completely different things from me and I could endlessly go on.

Go back to college to do your A-levels if you want the qualification: but go back for the qualification, NOT to make friends. I certainly do not regret going back one little bit- I've now got an unconditional offer to do veterinary medicine- so my two years were more than worth it, but I wouldn't choose to go back.

Don't get me wrong, I found a few students that I got along quite well with- but these were med applicants that studied all day - I couldn't find anyone that I could really connect with. Most of them thought it was just strange that I was there to be honest with you- let me put it this way, I didn't go back for 'fun'. You MIGHT find someone who you can get along with, but as other people have said- that's the wrong reason for going.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
18.3%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.09%
Not great so far... (257)
35.89%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.72%

Watched Threads