The Student Room Group

Help me choose my Alevel subjects in order to study Psych

hello. i'm finding a hard time choosing my Alevel subjects. I know i want to study psychology in the future. so far, i've picked math,econ,french and psychology. should i do bio instead of economics?
(i'm a science student and am picking economics because i find it quite interesting). are these okay or do unis prefer other subjects?
Hi! I'm going to study Psych at university in September and I do Psychology, History and Classical Civilisation. I did maths at AS but dropped it after the exam. The only a-level I do now that relates to studying psych at uni is psychology itself. Maths from AS did help slightly with the A2 side of the psychology course and I'm guessing will help at uni as it may make it easier to understand some statistics and calculations. But in general, the universities I applied to did not seem to mind that I had only done psychology that relates to their degree. They are more focused on the grades and also your personal statement. However, if you are looking to go to a university that is a russell group, then they may want biology, but if not, it shouldn't really matter. They are your A-Levels so you should pick whichever ones you're interested in the most as at the end of the day, you have to sit the exam. (Sorry for the long reply).
Reply 2
hey! I'm so sorry for the late reply. thanks alot for your input and goodluck at university :biggrin: well. i'm not sure of what to do for my a levels. again. back to square one :c
i still plan on doing maths and french. i also am opting for chemistry, but the real dilemma is now between physics and economics (i decided not to do biology and psych for A levels as like you mentioned earlier that unis don't really mind whether you did psych or not). so which is a better subject, economics or physics? :redface:
Reply 3
Hi, I had 5 offers from Russell Group unis for Psychology and I study Psychology, Environmental Science and English Lit. Don't worry too much if all of your subjects don't relate to Psychology - I had no idea I wanted to do it when I chose my a levels! I think biology and/or maths would be useful, but by no means essential! Just do what best interests you :smile:
Reply 4
oh wow! congratulations :biggrin: where are you planning to go? :smile: yes, I shall. Thank you very much :3

Original post by Chihiro_
Hi, I had 5 offers from Russell Group unis for Psychology and I study Psychology, Environmental Science and English Lit. Don't worry too much if all of your subjects don't relate to Psychology - I had no idea I wanted to do it when I chose my a levels! I think biology and/or maths would be useful, but by no means essential! Just do what best interests you :smile:
Original post by MrCookie
hey! I'm so sorry for the late reply. thanks alot for your input and goodluck at university :biggrin: well. i'm not sure of what to do for my a levels. again. back to square one :c
i still plan on doing maths and french. i also am opting for chemistry, but the real dilemma is now between physics and economics (i decided not to do biology and psych for A levels as like you mentioned earlier that unis don't really mind whether you did psych or not). so which is a better subject, economics or physics? :redface:

I think you just need to choose which subject you're interested in the most as you're the one who is going to be studying them and taking the exam. You want to make sure that you choose the a-levels that you're going to enjoy. I'd recommend that if you aren't taking psychology, then I'd sit in on a lesson to see if it does interest you and that you definitely do want to do it at uni :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by AmberCoombs97
I think you just need to choose which subject you're interested in the most as you're the one who is going to be studying them and taking the exam. You want to make sure that you choose the a-levels that you're going to enjoy. I'd recommend that if you aren't taking psychology, then I'd sit in on a lesson to see if it does interest you and that you definitely do want to do it at uni :smile:

yes well deciding what I want is as confusing now as ever! :redface: but yes, I'll heed your advice and do what I am interested in. Thanks! Well, yes. I might take psych as a 5th A level and am quite interested as my brother is doing Psych at A level too. All the best with your degree! :biggrin:
yes well deciding what I want is as confusing now as ever! :redface: but yes, I'll heed your advice and do what I am interested in. Thanks! Well, yes. I might take psych as a 5th A level and am quite interested as my brother is doing Psych at A level too. All the best with your degree! :biggrin:

Ah well maybe talk to your teachers and see what they think as they can give you more advice about the courses. You've still got plenty of time to decide so don't get too worried about it yet! I changed 3 out of 4 of my AS' before the summer holidays and it was fine! My school has a trial period of about 3 weeks as well so if you decide you don't like one of your a levels then you can change it. But I suppose it just depends on what your school or college policy is :smile: thank you!!
Reply 8
Original post by AmberCoombs97
Ah well maybe talk to your teachers and see what they think as they can give you more advice about the courses. You've still got plenty of time to decide so don't get too worried about it yet! I changed 3 out of 4 of my AS' before the summer holidays and it was fine! My school has a trial period of about 3 weeks as well so if you decide you don't like one of your a levels then you can change it. But I suppose it just depends on what your school or college policy is :smile: thank you!!

hahah i have to choose by the end of this month :P but yeah, i'm not fretting xD wow that's cool. our school isn't as flexible :/ and you're welcome :biggrin:
Reply 9
oh wow! congratulations :biggrin: where are you planning to go? :smile: yes, I shall. Thank you very much :3

Birmingham! Good luck with choosing and don't stress it too much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest