My best friend has an eating disorder and I don't know how to help Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 49 years ago
I just keep asking her all these questions and I know that it's not helpful. I don't want to lecture her. I'm not an idiot, I know that me telling her she's not fat will do no good at all but it's just so hard to be understanding when I can't understand. Should I try to talk to her about it and ask her questions or not? I don't know what to do. She is having counselling at sixth form and they want her to go to a mental health clinic but she refuses
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't ask her questions. If she wants to fiscuss it, let her. But don't force the subject.
CatherineK123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Approach the subject gently, likelihood is she doesn't want to stop what she is doing and may not even accept that it is abnormal. I think the best thing you can do is try and make her realise that her behaviour is not sustainable and that she won't be ok if she carries on with her disordered behaviour, essentially suggesting that she doesn't have a choice but to get help - she may not want to seek help in the fear that she'll feel guilty for acting to end her disordered habits so feeling that it is less of a choice may remove some of this guilt. The most important thing is to be there for her and remind her how deserving and amazing she is Hope this helps x
laylarose
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's a tricky issue. There may be nothing you can do for her medically, but like the above poster said: keep reassuring her that you're there for her if she ever wants to talk or vent. Also tell her that you'll be right by her side through recovery and otherwise :yep:
clonedmemories
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ask her if there's anything you can do that might help her. This will give her the opportunity to raise anything with you specifically that you can do, and if not, just being there for her and letting her know she can turn to you if necessary is the best you can do. Otherwise, just treating her as you otherwise would, just as any other friends, and not letting her feel alienated from everyone else. It's difficult, and you need to make sure you look after your own mental wellbeing as well as hers, but having support from people she trusts will be good for her.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (95)
24.42%
No (294)
75.58%

Watched Threads