robinson96
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi So I've applied for UCAS and got all my offers, my only problem is I don't know exactly where I want to go. I've narrowed my choices down to 2 places, both of which offer very similar courses and are well regarded Uni's, and I feel I would be happy to study at either. However, the grade boundaries are not simply one higher than the other. One has offered A*ABB, which allows me 2 B's but means I need an A*, whereas the other has offered AAA, so I don't need an A* but I need a higher grade in one of my other subjects. I don't know whether to accept the AAA offer as firm, on principal that I cannot guarantee I'll get an A*, so I can sort out all my accommodation and stuff on my more likely University, and then on the chance of me getting an A* I could potentially go there if I chose to on results day. It'll all a bit of a mess that I can't really get my head around so any ideas or comments would be much appreciated. Thank you!
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by robinson96)
Hi So I've applied for UCAS and got all my offers, my only problem is I don't know exactly where I want to go. I've narrowed my choices down to 2 places, both of which offer very similar courses and are well regarded Uni's, and I feel I would be happy to study at either. However, the grade boundaries are not simply one higher than the other. One has offered A*ABB, which allows me 2 B's but means I need an A*, whereas the other has offered AAA, so I don't need an A* but I need a higher grade in one of my other subjects. I don't know whether to accept the AAA offer as firm, on principal that I cannot guarantee I'll get an A*, so I can sort out all my accommodation and stuff on my more likely University, and then on the chance of me getting an A* I could potentially go there if I chose to on results day. It'll all a bit of a mess that I can't really get my head around so any ideas or comments would be much appreciated. Thank you!
If you firm the AAA uni and they accept you on results day then your A*ABB choice will disappear even if you satisfy the latter's conditions (perhaps after achieving A*ABB or A*AAA or A*A*BB). So if you then wanted to go to your A*ABB insurance you would be left scrabbling round on results day trying to decline your firm and get into your insurance via clearing, which would be very risky.

Note that the opposite is also true. If you firm the A*ABB and insure the AAA and the former accepts you on results day then the insurance will disappear even if you satisfy their conditions.

Which one do you really want to go to?
FionaMG
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by robinson96)
You should ideally put your absolute favourite uni as your firm choice. Perhaps thinking about some of things below will help you decide which of the two that is.

You said the courses are very similar but perhaps you could look at the modules offered in greater depth. Are there any optional modules that would really love to do and which are offered by only one of the unis? Conversely, are there any compulsory modules at one or the other that you would really rather avoid?

How about accommodation? Do you have any preferences there? Or clubs and societies?

Think about distance from home. Which is closer? Would you prefer to be closer, so you can go home every now and then? Or would you prefer to be as far away as you can get?

Hope this helps. Good luck with your choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.07%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.51%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.22%
It might lead to more bullying (143)
38.86%
There's nothing they could do (108)
29.35%

Watched Threads