?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Lalaaa
danielcs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can't write too much on it since I am working on a few assignments right now, but here are a few major points.

If you go from high school to do an LLB, this is what you'll need to do if you come back to Canada:

- Straight off the bat you will need to do your NCA(National Committee on Accreditation) exams, then pass the provincial bar exams.

- To be even considered for the NCA you need: 2 years Canadian post secondary education, 3 years at an approved university studying Law (in the UK anything that is approved by the SRA), as well as the completion of 10 courses that the Federation of Law Societies of Canada requires(you can take these during your LLB, whatever you don`t take needs an exam during the NCA process).

- If you want to read some more on ways to meet the requirements you can go to the Canada Law From Abroad Accreditation page.

As for studying law in the UK:

- Don`t know what school you want to go to in the UK, but the higher ranking schools will want you to get at a minimum average of 85% with some wanting 93% (using Ontario as a standard since that`s where I`m from). Also for some schools you will need to do the LNAT, as well as have a stellar personal statement.

- For jobs, if you do not have a UK/EU citizenship it'll probably be just as hard to find a job since you need a work visa, and a company willing to sponsor you. You will also need a student visa to study in UK as well (It costs more than 300 pounds).

Consider everything before you apply. I'm about to finish my undergrad, and chose the UK route, but that's because I already have my EU citizenship beside my Canadian one, and I know that I would rather live Europe than in Canada.

Lastly, as an aside, a 4 year undergrad is not cheap. You are looking at $20,000+ for 4 years. A student loan will defer the payment, but it still needs to be payed back.

Sorry if this wasn't fully coherent, my mind is gone from a 20 page paper right now.
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MimiUNI)
I am a Canadian so I am eligible for Canadian student loans so obviously it is better to go to schools in Canada rather than overseas. However my plans are to study law and in Canada it takes four years undergrad and three years graduate. The four years undergrad is fairly chap because of student loans, but law school can range from 30,000 to 100,000 grand, and then the LSAT test needs to be taken which is even more money, and on top of that what if I do not even get into Law school?Al of those four years wasted. As opposed to the UK, which I've already been accepted to for Law undergrad. Its a lot more expensive but in the long run would it be cheaper as its only four years rather than 7? plus I also hear that its pretty hard to get a job as a lawyer in Canada and a lot easier in the UK, is that true? Anyway thanks!
If you want to work in Canada, Canadian lawyers respect Canadian degrees more than UK degrees because many UK law schools accept people with very low grades who would not have been able to get into a Canadian law school in the first place.

Go on lawstudents.ca, its been heavily debated and the conclusion is that a Canadian law degree is > UK law degree in all cases except Oxbridge.

The reason is that pedigree and prestige matter heavily in law, and Canadian lawyers who have mostly been trained in Canada know that Canadian law schools are harder to get into and more prestigious which is why they hire from Canadian law schools.

The money isn't an issue, a 7 year BA/JD is going to help you land a real job whereas a 3 year LLB won't, period. If things were this easy, people would be flocking to the UK, but its not like that.
zero_gravity
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MimiUNI)
I am a Canadian so I am eligible for Canadian student loans so obviously it is better to go to schools in Canada rather than overseas. However my plans are to study law and in Canada it takes four years undergrad and three years graduate. The four years undergrad is fairly chap because of student loans, but law school can range from 30,000 to 100,000 grand, and then the LSAT test needs to be taken which is even more money, and on top of that what if I do not even get into Law school?Al of those four years wasted. As opposed to the UK, which I've already been accepted to for Law undergrad. Its a lot more expensive but in the long run would it be cheaper as its only four years rather than 7? plus I also hear that its pretty hard to get a job as a lawyer in Canada and a lot easier in the UK, is that true? Anyway thanks!
Hi there.

Like the others have stated, you need to be sure that you are sure that this is the route that you want to take.

I would disagree with Okorange on the statement that people choose to study in the UK because they couldn't get into Canadian law schools. Given that you are a high school student (I'm guessing), you will be treated differently than the others. At the same time, accreditation for your law degree would be more difficult if you do choose to pursue your career in Canada.

With that being said, it is obvious that taking the Canadian route would be the best way to ensure a job as a lawyer in Canada. I would suggest taking an undergraduate degree at a Canadian institution first before pursuing law, unless you are absolutely adamant on sticking with law (in which case the UK would work in your favour).

One thing to note: It is as difficult getting a job in the UK as in Canada, especially if you are not an EU citizen. Unless you have a sponsor willing to employ you, you will have a slim chance working in the UK as lawyer.
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zero_Gravity91)
Hi there.

Like the others have stated, you need to be sure that you are sure that this is the route that you want to take.

I would disagree with Okorange on the statement that people choose to study in the UK because they couldn't get into Canadian law schools. Given that you are a high school student (I'm guessing), you will be treated differently than the others. At the same time, accreditation for your law degree would be more difficult if you do choose to pursue your career in Canada.

With that being said, it is obvious that taking the Canadian route would be the best way to ensure a job as a lawyer in Canada. I would suggest taking an undergraduate degree at a Canadian institution first before pursuing law, unless you are absolutely adamant on sticking with law (in which case the UK would work in your favour).

One thing to note: It is as difficult getting a job in the UK as in Canada, especially if you are not an EU citizen. Unless you have a sponsor willing to employ you, you will have a slim chance working in the UK as lawyer.
You might disagree but this is definitely the case in Canada, not always but many law schools in the UK cater to Canadians who have not received offers in Canada after a bachelor's degree and are now considering studying law abroad.

Canada tightly regulates its law schools, there are not as many law schools in Canada as in the UK and they mainly train local students.

Not sure if its a possibility, but you could always do a UK Law degree and then apply to Canadian law school if you find it difficult to land a job which in my opinion you would. Make sure you are eligible to apply to Canadian law with a UK degree however.
zero_gravity
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Okorange)
You might disagree but this is definitely the case in Canada, not always but many law schools in the UK cater to Canadians who have not received offers in Canada after a bachelor's degree and are now considering studying law abroad.

Canada tightly regulates its law schools, there are not as many law schools in Canada as in the UK and they mainly train local students.

Not sure if its a possibility, but you could always do a UK Law degree and then apply to Canadian law school if you find it difficult to land a job which in my opinion you would. Make sure you are eligible to apply to Canadian law with a UK degree however.
No, I am speaking solely on the OP's case. Since she is a high school student, she has no credentials to demonstrate that she did not receive law school offers, since she has not completed an undergraduate degree. I do somewhat agree with you on the statement that many candidates that went to UK law schools did not get offers for Canadian law schools, but I believe there are some exceptions (i.e. those that studied at Oxbridge, UCL, and LSE).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads