Eligibility for free healthcare?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
username1553267
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, im 20 and a full time student and i was wondering what the rules are for free healthcare? I know under 19 students are eligible but what about older students? What about the cost of seeing GPs, dentists, medication, assessments and everything else? I have dysthymia, anxiety and i intend to get checked for autism but im just worried about costs of everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you a UK resident? if so, the only thngs you'd have to pay for on the NHS would be dental treatment, prescriptions, glasses and eye tests. But some people can get those free either on the basis of a low income or medical condition.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Medical is free at all ages with the exception of prescriptions which you have to pay for in England. Over 19 you have to pay for dental, look up the NHS dental banding and it's not too expensive, if you want more cosmetic treatments though you'll have to pay a bit extra for private care though.
username1553267
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by OU Student)
Are you a UK resident? if so, the only thngs you'd have to pay for on the NHS would be dental treatment, prescriptions, glasses and eye tests. But some people can get those free either on the basis of a low income or medical condition.
Thanks for the reply Yes I am a UK resident, do you know anything more about if I am on a low income? I only get DLA but not ESA, I'm mainly worried about prescriptions...
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lyuz)
Thanks for the reply Yes I am a UK resident, do you know anything more about if I am on a low income? I only get DLA but not ESA, I'm mainly worried about prescriptions...
Where in the UK will you be studying? Those in Scotland and wales don't pay for prescriptions. (and I think, eye tests are free in Scotland)

Your student loan and any grant you receive will be counted as income if you apply for ESA. If you're entitled to income based ESA, you'll be entitled to free prescriptions, eye tests, help with glasses, etc.
eshdentist
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Students can apply for a hc2 certificate which means EVERYTHING is free. Inc dental/prescriptions. You need your student finance entitlement letters and to send off a form. Here's a link about it http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...me-scheme.aspx
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But being a student isn't enough it itself to qualify. You also have to be on a low income.
eshdentist
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But being a student isn't enough it itself to qualify. You also have to be on a low income.
It is. They automatically class anyone receiving student finance and living away from home as low income. I have had it through out my first degree. Just had to send the student finance letter and reapply for the certificate each year.
eshdentist
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Should point out they never advertise that students can get it free. I found out through a dentist I worked for
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by eshdentist)
It is. They automatically class anyone receiving student finance and living away from home as low income. I have had it through out my first degree. Just had to send the student finance letter and reapply for the certificate each year.
No they don't. It's based on your income.
Blovesdreamies
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

It is confusing - just looked at the link and if you are receiving a student loan they take the income you declared on your sf application (which would be household/parents) into consideration. So no, it appears you are not automatically eligible just because you are a student living away from home. At least thats how I interpreted it but I kind of hope I could be wrong. Its not that clear.
thestranger11
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its based on your income, as a student that will mostly be student finance and will be nowhere near the limit, so most students should be eligible.
You should just fill in the hc2 form, thats the only way you will find out what you can get.
eshdentist
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
what the above posters said. I am correct. I've done it for 5 years now.
superwolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
what the above posters said. I am correct. I've done it for 5 years now.
You're not - I was turned down for an HC2 certificate as a student. And the other posters were disagreeing with you.

OP if you're worried about prescription costs then I'd look into getting a prescription prepayment certificate. It generally works out cheaper than paying per time, so long as you get more than two items a month. Also if you buy a prepayment certificate and then qualify for the HC2 certificate, you can claim the money back for it.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
no they don't. I didn't qualify as a student for free treatment, just a price cap on what I had to pay
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by superwolf)
You're not - I was turned down for an HC2 certificate as a student. And the other posters were disagreeing with you.

OP if you're worried about prescription costs then I'd look into getting a prescription prepayment certificate. It generally works out cheaper than paying per time, so long as you get more than two items a month. Also if you buy a prepayment certificate and then qualify for the HC2 certificate, you can claim the money back for it.
You only need 13 items a year to make it worth buying. And you can pay by direct debit - 10 payments of £10 (and pence?) per month.
Other_Owl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Where in the UK will you be studying? Those in Scotland and wales don't pay for prescriptions. (and I think, eye tests are free in Scotland)

Your student loan and any grant you receive will be counted as income if you apply for ESA. If you're entitled to income based ESA, you'll be entitled to free prescriptions, eye tests, help with glasses, etc.
In Northern Ireland we don't pay for prescrptions as well and are dental on the NHS if you are in full time education.
markova21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry I know this thread is pretty old now but I couldn't find anything more recent on here. We live in Northern Ireland and atm me and my son qualify for free dental care. Me because I get certain benefits, and my 20 year old son via the HC1 form he filled in.[ He is a FT Higher Education student at college]. If he goes to University in England in September will he still qualify for free dental care? My financial circumstances won't have changed, but as the same with now, he will qualify for both a student loan and grant. I had heard that University students have to pay for their own dental treatment. Thanks.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by markova21)
Sorry I know this thread is pretty old now but I couldn't find anything more recent on here. We live in Northern Ireland and atm me and my son qualify for free dental care. Me because I get certain benefits, and my 20 year old son via the HC1 form he filled in.[ He is a FT Higher Education student at college]. If he goes to University in England in September will he still qualify for free dental care? My financial circumstances won't have changed, but as the same with now, he will qualify for both a student loan and grant. I had heard that University students have to pay for their own dental treatment. Thanks.
You're better off starting your own thread due to how old this one is.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (567)
34.26%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (681)
41.15%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.06%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.53%

Watched Threads