MSB47
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Quasars are compact radio sources and when observed on the optical spectrum they have a very large red shift so that means they are moving away from us?

It is also said they have a huge power output leading to theories that they are not part of the universe's expansion? But, how does the power output have anything to do with its recessional velocity?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MSB47)
Quasars are compact radio sources and when observed on the optical spectrum they have a very large red shift so that means they are moving away from us?

It is also said they have a huge power output leading to theories that they are not part of the universe's expansion? But, how does the power output have anything to do with its recessional velocity?
large red shift also means distant and old - which theory are you thinking about?
MSB47
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)
large red shift also means distant and old - which theory are you thinking about?
Distant and old but they would still be moving right?

Not sure of the name of the theory but it just mentions in my class booklet that the huge power output calculated from quasars is controversial and it may not be part of the universe's expansion... Slightly confused on why though?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MSB47)
Distant and old but they would still be moving right?

Not sure of the name of the theory but it just mentions in my class booklet that the huge power output calculated from quasars is controversial and it may not be part of the universe's expansion... Slightly confused on why though?
It might be a bit out of date
There was (past tense) a controversy with some people including steady state universe proponents suggesting that they were nearer and dimmer... but I think it's pretty settled (since at least the '90s) that they're as distant and luminous as they appear to be and that they are caused by material being sucked into super massive black holes.
MSB47
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)
It might be a bit out of date
There was (past tense) a controversy with some people including steady state universe proponents suggesting that they were nearer and dimmer... but I think it's pretty settled (since at least the '90s) that they're as distant and luminous as they appear to be and that they are caused by material being sucked into super massive black holes.
ahh ok thank you very much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (10)
21.74%
No (36)
78.26%

Watched Threads