The Student Room Group

Admissions Descisions?

Hi,

I know this might seem a silly question, because each subject has an admissions tutor so you would think that they choose who they admit, but they only interview a small number of applicants, and in the case of the college I have applied to, the NatSci admissions tutor is a biologist and as I am applying for Physical NatSci, I reckon its not really down to him/her.

So I was just wondering whats the process after you have you interviews? I had two interviews, one with a Physics professor and a Director of Studies in Maths and another interview with the Director of Studies in Chemistry.

what happens after the interviews, do they just grade me and pass my file onto someone else, or do they discuss my application?

Also how much weighting do you think the general interview (not very general at all, but hey, thats what its called!) has compared to the subject interview.

could a really good performance in the "general" interview, make up for a lacklustre subject interview? also, in terms of admissions, would the more senior professor have more of a say, or the less senior (but more involved in teaching) directors of studies?

thats all my questions really, just wondering if anyone can shed any light on them!

thanks,
Reply 1
what is the role of the directors of studies in the admissions process?
Reply 2
And could a good performance in both subject interviews, make up for a disastrous general interview? Who is making the final decision? Admissions Tutor or Director of Studies? I was interviewed by both of them and messed up the general interview.
Not 100% sure but I'd guess the DoS's decision is the most important... after all he/she will be teaching you! In my college at least the science subjects admissions tutor is a mathmo - would you expect him to be fully involved in the choosing of every person for natsci, engineering, compsci...? probably not. he signs the offer letters so I guess the DoSs recommend people to him.

Yes I think the interviewers give you a score for every aspect of your application and then sit round a table to discuss it once all the interviews are over.
Reply 4
Well, I hope you're right and they will discuss it before making the decision, because if the Admissions Tutor made the decision I could expect nothing else than a rejection.
Reply 5
What did you do? Punch him in the crotch? 'Cause thats a rookie mistake. :smile:
Reply 6
No I didn't. I'm not that bad, really. :wink:
I just forgot how to speak English, so I had to think about each sentence for some time and sounded like an idiot. And I could answer the questions in a better way, but I was so stressed I couldn't think at all :frown:
The main point is, that in the general interiew I didn't show I'm good enough at English to study in this language, so I hope the subject interviews can make up for this.
Reply 7
PURE JOY what subject you applying for?
Reply 8
biological NatSci
Reply 9
well, I had a "general" interview with a DoS which wasn't general at all, and involved just as much graph sketching, calculus etcas the subject one, and a subject interview with a DoS and a professor. i'm just worried that because it was labelled as the suject interview it will carry more weight, when really the content was very similar.

Latest

Trending

Trending