Charlotte56
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So my parents say that if I go to the university nearest to me, they'll buy me a car however, I'd still have to live at home. I feel as though it wouldn't be the full uni experience with my parents checking up on me 24/7. But if I move elsewhere I won't have a car. Considering I want to go to medical school, which is the better option?

Posted from TSR Mobile
DasSnipez
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well you have to ask yourself a few things, the main one being: is the uni closest to you the best you can do?

Don't give up the possibility of a good placement for the short term gain of a car, the degree will last longer.

If going to your local uni is acceptable you have to start asking other questions:

Do you enjoy living with your parents and do they give you enough freedom?

What is the accommodation around your uni like, what sort of distances are you looking at travelling and how much will it cost to run the car as opposed to more local accommodation or public transport?

In the end you are the one who has to make the decision but you have to make sure you are asking yourself the right questions.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you're going to med school you probably won't get the choice. If you do though look at where your placements could be, if they're a good few miles away which is quite likely then it might be better off having a car. That said medics work hard and play harder so you might not want your parents around for that, and being able to live at home as a medic might tick off some biomeds a bit
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There are annual and ongoing expenses associated wirh a car, so costing them and being able to afford them is another factor. Also the potential cost of parking at the uni - or even the possibility. My Masters uni charged (if I remember correctly) £400 a year for campus parking unless you had mitigating circumstances such as a mobility problem. Even then, parking was over-subscribed. It wasn't unusual to have to park more than half a mile from the part of campus you needed to be in. My current uni prohibits student parking on campus completely unless there are mitigating circumstances.

As an undergrad, a car might be more of a liability than an asset, depending on your financial circumstances and your uni's parking policy/charges.
Ambry
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Personally I'd choose accommodation. Living away is a great experience. My friends who stayed at home and got a car still seme to be living the same old lives and not really doing much, whereas the people I know that moved away (me included) are having a really good time and fully getting involved in uni life.
Also might depend on how good your uni is and things like that, but if it were me I would choose accommodation over a car.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads