Thinking of buying a tablet for university Watch

HibernatingBrain
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Basically I have a laptop. It's just under two years old but I can't justify buying a new one because it works just fine (I was having some problems with it holding charge but a new battery and it now gives me a good couple of hours again).

But the thing is it's just a bit too big to carry around everyday and I was thinking buying a relatively cheap tablet wouldn't be a bad thing and I could probably afford it. I can't really afford to buy an iAnything or a Samsung as my budget is (hopefully) under £150. I really don't know what size would be appropriate

Just any general advice...do you think this is even necessary? Will a laptop that remains in the confines of my room be okay? What operating system?

P.S it's a science based course but there will be a lot of essays and writing up of reports (which I will probably just do on my laptop). Also the course lasts 5/6 years so maybe something that will last the majority if not that entire time

Thanks
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HibernatingBrain)
Basically I have a laptop. It's just under two years old but I can't justify buying a new one because it works just fine (I was having some problems with it holding charge but a new battery and it now gives me a good couple of hours again).

But the thing is it's just a bit too big to carry around everyday and I was thinking buying a relatively cheap tablet wouldn't be a bad thing and I could probably afford it. I can't really afford to buy an iAnything or a Samsung as my budget is (hopefully) under £150. I really don't know what size would be appropriate

Just any general advice...do you think this is even necessary? Will a laptop that remains in the confines of my room be okay? What operating system?

P.S it's a science based course but there will be a lot of essays and writing up of reports (which I will probably just do on my laptop). Also the course lasts 5/6 years so maybe something that will last the majority if not that entire time

Thanks
Wait until you're actually at uni, there will be newer models and current ones will be cheaper and after a couple of weeks of lectures you'll know if you'd rather have a tablet or not. It's better to think "man, I wish I had a tablet" and then going to buy one than it is thinking"man, I wish I hadn't spend £150 on this tablet" if you find yourself not needing it.
Baron of Sealand
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I survived 4.75 years of university without having a tablet. I don't think it's necessary at all. Still have the trouble to carry it around.
username1494226
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Instead of wasting money on a lame tablet, why not buy a 2 in 1 Windows machine, any Windows laptop at the high end or a MacBook or even a desktop. Worth more than a junker iPad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
67.72%
No I haven't decided yet (25)
19.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed