The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by J-SP
I never claimed they were going to be huge. But nearly £2k a year in child benefit alone is a fair amount, especially if you are only taking home around £2k a month

Posted from TSR Mobile

How does £100pm workout to nearly 2k per year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dalek1099
This argument fails on lots of levels the first is a very high rent of £700 a month my mam's rent would be around £400 a month if she worked but lets just assume that is the rent you have to pay.You say you have to spend £1300 a month now lets take off the £700 a month and £120 council tax that means the rest of these costs are £480 a month which is quite a bit over the roughly £70 a week(£300 a month on your JSA) so you wouldn't be able to afford all this on the dole, so you need to add £180 a month at least to your argument and probably really £480 a month as rent isn't usually that high and also £12.35 a day is quite a large amount that saves you up £4600 a year that is quite a lot of spare money?Obviously you don't expect a life of luxury as that is still below the mean wage and if you add that £480 a month on that gives you an extra £5760 to spend on things plus the £4600 a year thats £10360 a year that would amount to about 100k in 10 years and your wage would probably go up to.

Also depending on age its £54/£72 odd i believe a week and people on the dole have to contribute to council tax £197 a year toward their bill and still pay gor electricity so infact the amount you have on the dole is much less than your £4000 spare a year

Im not on the dole but my sister in law in a support worker who deals with these issues. So she/he fails there too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102
Original post by vickie89uk
Also depending on age its £54/£72 odd i believe a week and people on the dole have to contribute to council tax £197 a year toward their bill and still pay gor electricity so infact the amount you have on the dole is much less than your £4000 spare a year

Im not on the dole but my sister in law in a support worker who deals with these issues. So she/he fails there too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wrong on so many levels I will respond back using maths, logic and facts when Im less tired.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rent is dead money.
Turn that £700 into a mortgage payment, thats £700 stashed into your home equity. You're saving/investing £700 a month, which is more than you'd see on the dole in a long time.
It's true that not everyone can get a mortgage.

If you had 20k take home salary after tax and N.I. , lived like a student, reduced your expenses to 12k, you've got an 8k a year surplus.

3 years and you've got 24k towards a house deposit. If you don't want to have a house, well you've got 24k in Party money. You couldn't squirrel this away in the dole. If you magically managed 16k, your benefits get stopped.

People on the dole also don't get the freedom of choosing where they live. They also have to be at the beck and call of the job centre.

20k take home salary is not equivalent to being on the dole. You can choose your housing and have enough money to save a substantial portion to better your situation.
Original post by Quady
Above the median wage is a starting point? :s-smilie:

i meant based on ops example. What I'm getting at is I started on 20k, and a year and a bit later I'm now on 27k
Original post by T.I.P
Well it doesn't specifically say this so lets assume you earn 30k a year while your wife looks after your children... its a common scenario for many, Im sure many take home less also.

Oh my god, so you're saying 30k spread across 4 people isn't that much? Wow!! Maybe it would be even less spread across 5 people. I think you may be onto something here.
Reply 107
Original post by M1011
Is this a joke or are you out of touch with reality? =/

Out of touch with reality?

Really, where?
Reply 108
Original post by Rick Deckard
Rent is dead money.
Turn that £700 into a mortgage payment, thats £700 stashed into your home equity. You're saving/investing £700 a month, which is more than you'd see on the dole in a long time.

Its not dead money if house prices fall. Buying can be dead money then.

Also a £700 mortgage payment isn't £700 equity.
To be honest £12.35 a day in disposable income is not bad actually. That would be around £86 a week. Now depending on how lavish you want to live tour life is up to you but I know with £86 lying around every week I could go out with my mates 2 or 3 times a week and still save a good £30-£40 a week. What more do you want at such an age? (Presumably you're in your early/mid 20s). In this day and age its quite hard to find many graduates walking into 50k jobs anyway, get back to reality!!!

And for those talking about how expensive London is...you're 100% right. It is quite expensive, which is why if you're not their with a job that provides you enough money to live and save then you should probably look at jobs elsewhere because house prices we going to continue to rise. What's the point in living somewhere where you can barely afford to live let alone save for buying your own house in the future? Act you WAGE people!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Quady
Its not dead money if house prices fall. Buying can be dead money then.

Also a £700 mortgage payment isn't £700 equity.

Both fair points. I think there's a lot of situations where renting is a better option.

However I think OP's premise that you can't live 20k (on a student forum) a bit defeatist.
Reply 111
Original post by Quady
Out of touch with reality?

Really, where?

You're factually incorrect. I've done it, therefore it isn't an opinion, it's a fact.

How much do you think someone on £35k with a modest lifestyle has to spend on rent out of interest?
Reply 112
Original post by J-SP
Most private landlords won't take on someone as a tenant if the rent is more than 40% of their gross salary, so they could be renting anything up to £1150 a month.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edit: Just realised you aren't the person I was originally speaking to. I'm not sure what your position is, do you agree with Quady that people can't live on £35k in London on their own?

If so, here's 400+ reasons why you'd be wrong, all posted in the last 14 days.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E87490&maxPrice=1100&maxDaysSinceAdded=14&letType=long_term
(edited 9 years ago)
Blame Labour for that
I think it's a very sad thing if your great ambition in life is to sit around doing nothing...
Reply 115
Original post by yo radical one
I think it's a very sad thing if your great ambition in life is to sit around doing nothing...

People on the doll probs think its sad you willingly submit to be a slave tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 116
Original post by M1011
You're factually incorrect. I've done it, therefore it isn't an opinion, it's a fact.

How much do you think someone on £35k with a modest lifestyle has to spend on rent out of interest?

On their own in London? £750.

Happy to be advised otherwise, which is why I've asked twice where it can be done.
Reply 117
Original post by M1011
Edit: Just realised you aren't the person I was originally speaking to. I'm not sure what your position is, do you agree with Quady that people can't live on £35k in London on their own?

If so, here's 400+ reasons why you'd be wrong, all posted in the last 14 days.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E87490&maxPrice=1100&maxDaysSinceAdded=14&letType=long_term

Have you seen how many of those are house shares or in croyden? :s-smilie:
Reply 118
Original post by J-SP
No I think they can live in London comfortably on £35k. I see plenty of people who do.

But they have compromised on something. Whether it's living in a house-share, living in a studio, living further out, living in somewhere that is a "rougher area".

I get the sense that people on here who think that people can't, are those who likely to spend a high amount of their non-disposable income on luxuries and non-essentials and want it all (3 bed house, prime location etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool - I agree.

Original post by Quady
On their own in London? £750.

Happy to be advised otherwise, which is why I've asked twice where it can be done.

I don't know how you've equated a £35k income to a £750 rent budget? You could literally double that, or comfortably go up to 1,100+

Original post by Quady
Have you seen how many of those are house shares or in croyden? :s-smilie:

The point is, there's stuff there. You can find a place in most places in London at that price, not just Croydon (which despite being grim is nevertheless a 15 minute trip to multiple central London stations).
Original post by T.I.P
lets say you earn £25k per year and you are renting like many others or tbh even if your not this example still applies.

According to Money Savings website you would pay:

£2,880
income tax and £2,033 in National Insurance

if we add these together we get £4913

so lets just round that up to £5000 and take the amount awat from 25K which would leave you with £20000.

Lets say you are renting a house and its costing you 700 per month plus council tax and electricity bills, internet, food etc etc. lets call it 1300 in total (and thats cheap tbh) and times that by 12 to represent the total cost of the year we have a total of £15600 going out on these costs and thats no including cost of your car insurance, travel cost, clothing and other costs that spring up. So working with the numbers we have we can do 20000-15600 and we are left with £4600 so you have worked all year for this amount, the rest of the money has been spent on basic human survival imposed upon us by the higher powers. if you wanted to calculate further it would work out for a whole year you would earn £12.35 per day.

so all in all you wont be living a life of luxury especially if you're single, and tbh even if you earned 30k you would still be a white collar slave.

your argument is flawed if the person who has a stable job at £30k a year gets a mortgage.

Latest

Trending

Trending