I feel ashamed for being unemployed? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I hate being unemployed. I'm ambitious and want to go in the acting industry. I tried audtioning to schools 5 years in a row and got ask to come back then got regected again. They don't want me. I studied at an art uni and that didn't work out either.So I'm back to square one. I have a learning disorder which has effected me through the years but doesn't define me.I would like to work in starbucks or something and save money for the future. I auditioning to acting school again because I'm ambitious and don't want to give up. I hate doing nothing again. I used to be confident but since going to uni and living back here unemployed . My confidence is lowering a little. I'm getting anxiety for no reason. What can I do I hate that life is passing me by.
Fanatical Geek
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I hate being unemployed. I'm ambitious and want to go in the acting industry. I tried audtioning to schools 5 years in a row and got ask to come back then got regected again. They don't want me. I studied at an art uni and that didn't work out either.So I'm back to square one. I have a learning disorder which has effected me through the years but doesn't define me.I would like to work in starbucks or something and save money for the future. I auditioning to acting school again because I'm ambitious and don't want to give up. I hate doing nothing again. I used to be confident but since going to uni and living back here unemployed . My confidence is lowering a little. I'm getting anxiety for no reason. What can I do I hate that life is passing me by.
I don't think you're ashamed you're unemployed, I think you're disappointed that everything you planned in life isn't quite working out.

Sadly, I have never been in your situation so I am ill placed to provide legitimate advice, other than to keep trying and never give up or lose hope for what you want

Sorry I couldn't be of any more use

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zechs
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You could keep putting yourself down and live miserably or you can get yourself back up find yourself some sort of job even if it's not the greatest,you mentioned wanting to work in starbucks so your ego can't be that big. Also once you get this job perhaps you can find yourself extras work to do, maybe some sort of theater work were you could network with people would be good. If you are really ambitious you could even make your own short films and see if you get noticed in time. I am not an actor but I am sure we all know that acting is not exactly the easiest sector to get into especially for those from any ethnic minority even if you are caucasian you have a hill to climb, at some point you should ask yourself if this acting dream of yours is really what you want ? Is it really realistic?

It's not how you fall down in life it's how you get back up. I know this line is cliche but it's true, if you have hunger and drive then you can climb those short steps to success. I will not tell you it will be easy though, as for your learning disorder it's up to you how you let it affect you. It can either be something you ignore that does not stop you believing or you can use it as an excuse and you will be in square one again. Perhaps you can get some sort of funding or help to give you greater confidence in applying yourself and improving your skills jobwise.

As for your shame of being unemployed ,most ordinary people in your situation feel the same way. As long as you are trying to improve yourself and gain some work don't let it bring you down. Let friends and family motivate you out of this situation.
holmes221
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The creative industry in general takes balls and courage but don't give up. Get together with other struggling actors and actresses and make short films together. Put them on youtube / vimeo and build up a showreel so when those who decide your fate at these schools or employers audition you they can also see your passionate. If they are auditioning or interviewing hundreds it also gives you more of an edge.
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was out of work for over a year. I know what you're going through. But you got to keep trying and never let your inner confidence dwindle. The days will be long but I assure you, as soon as you get confirmation of a job, it will breathe new life into you. It'll be like someone removing a veil of doubt and anxiety all in one instance and you will feel instantly better. Don't have any fears. Just keep trying and get some part time work going. No need to feel ashamed whatsoever.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads