NHS Bursary and housing benefit Watch

This discussion is closed.
maturenurse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone can help me please. How does the nhs bursary affect housing benefit? In terms of can I get housing benefit if I am getting a bursary?

Thanks x
superwolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Students can't usually claim housing benefit. :nah: There are exceptions though - the one I know of is if you're on DLA then you can claim housing benefit and ESA even if you're a student. However you have to be on a low enough income to qualify, and this includes not only your bursary but also any student loans you might be entitled to (even if you don't claim the full amount).
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by superwolf)
Students can't usually claim housing benefit. :nah: There are exceptions though - the one I know of is if you're on DLA then you can claim housing benefit and ESA even if you're a student. However you have to be on a low enough income to qualify, and this includes not only your bursary but also any student loans you might be entitled to (even if you don't claim the full amount).
You can claim if you have a child (lone parent or part of a couple) too.
maturenurse
Rep:
?
Thanks x my partner and I are separating so I will be on my own with 2 children. I understand my bursary will go up, but It won't be enough to cover my rent and live as well xxx
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As a full time student, you're also exempt from council tax. Your uni should have a certificate for you to give the council.
maturenurse
Rep:
?
Yes I have the letter thanks xx
Cheryl88
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi I'm due to start at the end of this month and wondering how you got on with HB? I'm also a single mum to 2 and just trying to figure cash flow... 😬 Any advice would be much appreciated? Xx thank you in advance 😀
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
5.95%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.27%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.3%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.84%
There's nothing they could do (53)
28.65%

Watched Threads