Telling the boss you've gotten another job offer - is this basically a resignation? Watch

kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
When you tell your boss that you got another job offer from a different company, would that be an instant resignation on your part? i.e. you haven't written your resignation letter or saying that you'd be leaving by the end of the week, but you've just informed him that you've gotten a new job offer.
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why else would you tell them? Unless you want a payrise, in which case I would add more information to that statement. And expect to get your bluff called.
kka25
Rep:
?
(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
Why else would you tell them? Unless you want a payrise, in which case I would add more information to that statement. And expect to get your bluff called.
Out of respect for the employer I suppose :dontknow:
username197472
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't know if it counts. Although if you're on good terms with employer and maybe listed them as reference then they may already know.
Huskaris
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tradingmyheartforyours)
I don't know if it counts. Although if you're on good terms with employer and maybe listed them as reference then they may already know.
References generally do not get contacted until after the job offer is accepted.
SmashConcept
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No. Any decent employer will want your resignation in writing, so that there isn't recourse against them if your job offer falls through and you claim they have wrongfully dismissed you.

If an employer did dismiss you for this I'm pretty sure it would be considered illegal, assuming you were a permanent employee.

Still a dumb thing to tell your boss if you're not prepared to leave.
kka25
Rep:
?
(Original post by Huskaris)
References generally do not get contacted until after the job offer is accepted.
Do you think it's a resignation once the employee tells the boss?
Huskaris
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
Do you think it's a resignation once the employee tells the boss?
Depends.

Where I used to work, a lot of people would go to the boss saying "I have a job offer for *x amount* match it or I leave" its a bit cheeky but a lot of employers will play ball.

If you go in and say "I have a job offer and I am intending to leave" generally a lot of employers won't beg, but if they do, its still largely advised not to bother, apparently the vast majority of cases where the employee stays, they are gone within 6 months anyway.

In terms of formality, it isn't a resignation until you hand in your resignation which triggers your notice period etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.3%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.26%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.44%

Watched Threads