SCatherine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I was just wondering how everyone was going about with firming and rejecting their offers, as I'm quite confused about mine. Miraculously I got an offer to study Geography BSc at Durham (A*AA) Kings, Exeter and Bristol (all AAB). However, upon my second visit to Durham I realised that I didn't like the town, but having been lucky enough to get an offer it seems almost an act of insanity to reject it. So yes - I would really appreciate to hear your views on how you're choosing where to study, and perhaps if you wouldn't mind letting me know you're thoughts as to what I should do with mine. Thanks!
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My criteria were basically 1. I must like the teaching style of the course; 2. It must be near a beach or by the sea; 3. If it's not by the sea, then London. After that, I just narrowed it down by elimination based on rather moot points, actually....

I know someone who turned down UCL for Southampton. You're talking about the next 3 or so of the prime years of your life; might as well spend it somewhere you'll like to live and study/work. I'm rather intrigued by the implications for yourself of Durham giving you a higher offer. If they gave the same offer as the others, would you think of accepting them (firm/insurance)?
crazycanuck
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Fairly straightforward for me. I had them ranked at application time
SCatherine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I don't think it's a matter of the higher offer putting me off from firming Durham as my predictions slightly exceed that of the offer. As it's such a fantastic university and offers are so scarce I can't help but feel partially obliged to firm it, and to overlook the fact I don't like the town as it may turn out that I love it once I actually live there.

I totally understand that you should apply somewhere that you like - but if you're getting a £27k loan to go to uni, I feel you should go to the best uni to get the best degree that you can. Although I am sure that going to Southampton was the right choice for them, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable doing the same.

I suppose it comes down to the decision of either sacrificing the uni 'experience' or foregoing the chance to be at a better university.:confused:

(Original post by 9910224)
My criteria were basically 1. I must like the teaching style of the course; 2. It must be near a beach or by the sea; 3. If it's not by the sea, then London. After that, I just narrowed it down by elimination based on rather moot points, actually....

I know someone who turned down UCL for Southampton. You're talking about the next 3 or so of the prime years of your life; might as well spend it somewhere you'll like to live and study/work. I'm rather intrigued by the implications for yourself of Durham giving you a higher offer. If they gave the same offer as the others, would you think of accepting them (firm/insurance)?
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SCatherine)
As it's such a fantastic university and offers are so scarce I can't help but feel partially obliged to firm it, and to overlook the fact I don't like the town as it may turn out that I love it once I actually live there.
Didn't consider that factor, sorry... You're right. I guess what I might've meant to say with the UCL/Southampton thing was that prestige (of getting an offer or the uni itself) does not necessarily correlate with how good an education you'll get or how well-suited the course is to you.

but if you're getting a £27k loan to go to uni, I feel you should go to the best uni to get the best degree that you can.
Same as above; I also think that how 'good' the course is can depend on how well it suits your style of learning. I don't know exactly which of those is the 'best' uni from an objective standpoint, but I felt King's was the most prestigious out of your choices.

In any case, I actually think that you're more than capable of making this decision on your own. You seem like you've got a good head on your shoulders and the fact that you seem to have critically thought through my comments and your own values made me think that I was probably further from giving constructive ideas than if you'd have thought this through on your own.

I'm sure you'll make the best decision. Best of luck for the future!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed