The Student Room Group

Which Subject ??

I'm stuck between Drama and Music for my last GCSE. What do you think j should take? I want to study medicine or some science at Oxford in the future. Thanks
Original post by Weirdowithnoname
I'm stuck between Drama and Music for my last GCSE. What do you think j should take? I want to study medicine or some science at Oxford in the future. Thanks

Do not lose hope. There is a very helpful user who goes by the name Compost. Hang in there. Help will arrive soon enough!
Which ever one has the better teacher, or which ever one you enjoy.

Take the one that you enjoy more. Neither will give you more of an advantage than the other when you apply. The grades you score in your GCSEs are far more important than the actual subject choice. :smile:

I can't comment from the medicine/science side, but I know a couple of people who have switched from music to drama - not that it means much. The drama department at my school is probably better than the music one. :smile:

I picked drama, although I also play instruments (at varying levels). I would definitely recommend it as a subject. It's a very versatile course in terms of the stuff you can create, and I don't find the written work too bad overall. A lot of people will say that a good grade 'depends on the people in your group,' but you can, if this is a problem, work alone. In my course written scripts are also alternatives to practical performances if that's more your thing.

Drama is certainly one of my favourite subjects, but I'd go with what you think you'd enjoy the most. As far as I know, they're both enjoyable courses. :smile:
Neither subject is 'better' for what you want to do at uni. Do the one you like best, the one you think you'll do best in or the one with the better teachers. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest