The Student Room Group

Paramedic access help????

Hi everyone I have decided that I would like to become a paramedic, my problem is though that I am doing as level but have no as biology. I'm not really enjoying as levels at the mo so was thinking of doing as Exams and then leaving to do an apprenticeship preferably in the nhs such as administrative roles. After doing that and getting some salary and experience I would like to do a access course at about 20 or 21. However would I be able to do an apprenticeship with just as level and would unis look down on me for only doing half an a level. I jus don't want to keep doing another year of subjects not benifiting me. Has anyone been in my situation having done only as and getting degree/apprenticeship/job/access course? Thanks in advance x :smile:
Reply 1
Anyone?????
Hi I only completed AS levels at college. I then did an Access course a few years later and this year have successfully applied for Paramedic Science courses. The academic part of your application is important but it's just as important to get as much relevant experience as possible and to understand the role of a paramedic.
Reply 3
Hi!!! Thanks for the reply! If u don't mind me asking how long ago did u do ur AS's and what subjects did u do? Was it fairly easy to get onto the paramedic science access course after doing as levels? Thanks in advance
Hi
I did my AS levels a loooong time ago (2004). I didn't do a specific Paramedic Access course as this wasn't offered by my local college, I did a Science pathway as it covered chemistry and biology. It was pretty easy to get onto. I would talk to the people who run the access course about their entry requirements.
Reply 5
Original post by Alexmynameis
Hi
I did my AS levels a loooong time ago (2004). I didn't do a specific Paramedic Access course as this wasn't offered by my local college, I did a Science pathway as it covered chemistry and biology. It was pretty easy to get onto. I would talk to the people who run the access course about their entry requirements.

Thanks, I'm just worried that if I leave now with my as, I won't be doing anything until I'm 19 which is when I can do access course. That's two years of not doing anything....
How old are you now? I'm guessing 17? Plenty of time to get some good experience. As you're 17 you might be limited to St. John Ambulance/Red Cross volunteering. When you're 18 get a job in care/HCA/nursing auxilary, all great hands experience of adult care. Alternatively you could retake your A-levels in relevant subjects (Biology/chemistry/health and social care/whatever you FE college offers thst would be relevant in a science/healthcare pathway.
Reply 7
Yeah I'm 17 at the mo! I think I may have to lay for access coursr though which is why I may have to get an apprenticeship to hell with the fees. From your experience do you think people look down on people with as not a2! That's what my teachers are telling me although I don't believe them
Reply 8
Wow some shocking typos in that lol :eek:
It really depends on what you are applying for, as I say, academic qualifications are only a part of any job/uni application. If you really want to go down the paramedic route then really do your research on what they are looking for.
Reply 10
Original post by Alexmynameis
It really depends on what you are applying for, as I say, academic qualifications are only a part of any job/uni application. If you really want to go down the paramedic route then really do your research on what they are looking for.

Ok cheers 👍

Quick Reply

Latest