acnehater12345
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I currently use no face cleanser. I use an Aloe exfoliator every couple of days. I have oily skin. On my cheeks, I have some red whiteheads, but lots of post acne red marks that make my face look so much worse. I'm taking tablets from the Doctor but they're making no difference.

Any help? Thanks
Domk096
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by acnehater12345)
I currently use no face cleanser. I use an Aloe exfoliator every couple of days. I have oily skin. On my cheeks, I have some red whiteheads, but lots of post acne red marks that make my face look so much worse. I'm taking tablets from the Doctor but they're making no difference.

Any help? Thanks
Firstly I would recommend you start using a face cleaner probably a chemical exfoliant as these will help to reduce the post acne marks. Also you can ask doctor for anti-imflammatory creams, I have previously been on Differin but am now moving onto Acetyl Acid(?). Finally if your acne is really that bad or you feel that it is you can ask your doctor for a referal to a dermatologist.

=)
Chucklevisionary
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I went to the doctors a few months ago and got given a little lotion thing called Zineryt, it's completely cleared up all my spots. I just wash my face three times a day and apply the Zineryt at night, if you can I'd try it as it has made a huge difference for me I'm not too sure about dealing with the scars but wish you all the best.
musejames93
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
accutane
Scott129
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by acnehater12345)

Any help? Thanks
Best thing you can do is keep it simple.

I've had acne since I was 13 (22 now) and I've tried an assortment of washes/lotions/moisturisers/antibiotics/home remedies (mostly in conjunction with each other).

The past few months, I've only been on antibiotics (Lymecycline, to be precise) and I wash my face with warm water twice daily, literally just a few splashes. Cleared right up.

The problem is, no matter how good the individual treatments are, if you use several at one time (especially when they're strong chemicals), it's going to end up damaging your skin. Then it tries to repair itself, usually by producing more oils = more spots.

As for your tablets, you need to give them at least 6 months minimum. If there's been no improvement after that, go back to your GP and ask for some different ones. There's a wide variety of different antibiotics, so much so I've literally lost count of how many I've been on haha.
godivaontherocks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Salicylic acid peels really exfoliate, reduce scars, clear up acne, etc. Just don't use them too often as they can thin the skin over time, give your skin time to adjust. You can buy them on ebay really cheap. I use 10% and 20% concentrations (but had to start with 5% till my skin adjusted). Now I only spot-dab it on persistent scars and pimples. It gently peels to reveal new skin. As for products, go with Proactiv (contains salicylic acid), Paula's Choice (best I've tried, also contains salicylic acid) or Dermalogica (amazing, just expensive). I can't use benzoyl peroxide but some people have had success with it. For makeup to cover acne scarring while it fades, it depends on your skin type. I use Bare Minerals concealer and liquid foundation when my skin is too dry for mineral powder makeup, Sheer Cover or Faerie Organics (best ever!) on regular days. I've found taking zinc supplements and vitamin E supplements, drinking lots of water (staying hydrated), wearing good SPF and moisturizing (non-comedogenic) helps fade marks. Oh, and I eat like 3-4 royal gala apples a day because they seem to make a huge difference (apparently the pectin in their skins but Red Delicious have more) but that could be a fluke. But yeah, exfoliating gently to resurface skin is what seems to work best.

I forgot to add, mix half a teaspoon bicarbonate of soda with your regular face wash in your palm - best exfoliant I've tried. It's very gentle but don't scrub your skin, just massage it in. Or you'll damage it. Dermalogica Microfoliant is also very good and gentle on skin.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (129)
64.82%
No I haven't decided yet (41)
20.6%
Yes but I might change my mind (29)
14.57%

Watched Threads