xsashax
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello!

I 'd like to do medicine at uni and looking at the different ones, it seems that some have a 5 year course and some have a six year course (regardless of accelerated post graduate course or extra foundation courses). How come certain unis can do it in 5 years and others o it in 6? Would you say that extra year is required and worth it?

Thank you!
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Six-year courses will give you an "intercalated degree" as well. This is a normal degree (eg a Bachelor of Science), in addition to the Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery that all medical schools will give you. At some universities, you can opt to do a 6-year course to include this rather than the standard 5-year course, while at other universities, the 6-year course will be the only available option.
username1824715
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you do a 6 year course, you have a "intercalated" BSc included. If you do a 5 year course you can choose whether or not to do one. I'm on a 5 year course, and out of a year of 140, about 35 of us chose to intercalate.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't make a difference, but when it comes to applications for F1 jobs, you get extra points for having done an intercalated degree. It's not for everyone, but if you chose a 5 year course I would advocate doing one anyway! (Plus it's a nice break from Medicine!)
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RachelDawn)
In the grand scheme of things it doesn't make a difference, but when it comes to applications for F1 jobs, you get extra points for having done an intercalated degree.
You get application points for it right up the career chain. 10 of 64 core medical application points are for a 1st class BSc - compare that to just 10 for a PhD, just 8 for having two published papers as the first author).
username1824715
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oooh I didn't know it counted for CMT. Even more glad I chose to do it now!
xsashax
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you for the answers! looks like 6 years is a nice ide
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
6.99%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.41%
I don't think they'd understand (57)
15.32%
It might lead to more bullying (145)
38.98%
There's nothing they could do (109)
29.3%

Watched Threads