The Student Room Group

How would you feel if your son was the co-pilot that crashed the plane?

I have no idea how I would feel probably mixed emotions.

Scroll to see replies

My first response would be like, I mean people committing suicide isn't a new thing, however mass murdering 150+ people and effecting their friends and family is so out of order, I would be so ashamed and disgraced!

Saying that I hope the Dad did everything he could of done to get his son out of depression!

I am honestly surprised at how he still had his job after, I hope, the airline knew he was in heavy depression! I mean I wanted to be a pilot, but that's a different story, but I knew the key skills and attributes of being a pilot would be: responsibility and trustworthy.

So out of order to do this :frown:
We'll never know the whole story... there is still the side of the co-pilots story that we will never hear...

I mean, yea he has heavy depression but what if (this is just a thought that came into my head), maybe the door was locked once the pilot left and then the co-pilot had a heart attack or some other medical condition and couldn't let the other pilot in?

I've looked up in google that depression can increase chances of a heart attack...

just a thought...
Original post by Bustamove
We'll never know the whole story... there is still the side of the co-pilots story that we will never hear...

I mean, yea he has heavy depression but what if (this is just a thought that came into my head), maybe the door was locked once the pilot left and then the co-pilot had a heart attack or some other medical condition and couldn't let the other pilot in?

I've looked up in google that depression can increase chances of a heart attack...

just a thought...

The pilot would have been able to gain access to the cockpit after a 30 second delay, but the door was locked good for 5 minutes (high security cockpit locking system). And it's also reported the co-pilot remained calm and breathing normally throughout the flight (recorded by black box). Also, I think the autopilot would have been engaged at the time so the co-pilot must have manually changed the course to the ground.

I also hope the airline knew about it too otherwise it just seems like they let anyone fly planes... how can we trust them anymore?
I'd be ashamed for two reasons:
1- He killed 150+ people and hurting all of their family and friends
2- As a parent, he felt like he couldn't come to me/talk to me when he was depressed and having suicidal thoughts
He should deserve to die for taking so many innocent lives.
Anyone else find the 'how can anyone with depression even be given such job" comments insulting to people with mental health problems?
".... You had one job..."
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Anyone else find the 'how can anyone with depression even be given such job" comments insulting to people with mental health problems?

No I don't find it insulting being an areoplane pilot is a dangerous job you have the lives of 150 people in your hands and allowing you to fly flights is putting all these people at risk.We need pilots to be the best physically and mentally they can be to prevent such tragedies and incidents and being mentally ill or having been mentally ill means you aren't as suitable as someone who hasn't.Its like how we stop people being teachers if they have broken the law in case they harm the children, if you have had depression before you are putting people at risk in case symptoms reappear(the pilot was hospitalised before the illness was that severe).

I am not staying we should insult or discriminate against people with mental health problems but those who have had severe mental health problems before you shouldn't be allowed to be involved in dangerous jobs.Lets also not forget how stressful,exhausting and long the hours can be for a pilot which will exacerbate mental problems.

I think if the passengers knew the details of the pilots mental health I think they would have been very worried to have him piloting.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

That's not insulting at all that's true. Why give such a responsible job to someone with mental health problems? That can cause even bigger problems. They should be receiving help instead, not taking other's lives into their hands. You've got to hire the right people for the right jobs. I don't think anyone's trying to make fun of mental health problems.
Reply 10
Original post by Novascope
That's not insulting at all that's true. Why give such a responsible job to someone with mental health problems? That can cause even bigger problems. They should be receiving help instead, not taking other's lives into their hands. You've got to hire the right people for the right jobs. I don't think anyone's trying to make fun of mental health problems.

But isn't that like saying a Muslim shouldn't be allowed to be a pilot incase they are a terrorist?

Very few people with mental health problems actually harm anyone.
Original post by ngb9320
But isn't that like saying a Muslim shouldn't be allowed to be a pilot incase they are a terrorist?

Very few people with mental health problems actually harm anyone.

No it's not... Because that's ASSUMING.

Someone actually diagnosed with something isn't assuming.

Would you let a pedophile be a nursery nurse? No.
If there is a hell, I hope the scumbag burns for all eternity
Reply 13
No it's not... Because that's ASSUMING.

Someone actually diagnosed with something isn't assuming.

Would you let a pedophile be a nursery nurse? No.

But you are ASSUMING that someone with a mental health problem is going to go crazy and kill people.

You wouldn't let a pedophile near kids because there is a good chance they would harm the kids.
Original post by ngb9320
But you are ASSUMING that someone with a mental health problem is going to go crazy and kill people.

You wouldn't let a pedophile near kids because there is a good chance they would harm the kids.

Omg no... Someone with a mental problem shouldn't be given a job with such responsibility because mental problems can cause many other problems. Is that so hard to understand? It's not assuming, it's a matter of fact. Why put something at risk?
Reply 15
Omg no... Someone with a mental problem shouldn't be given a job with such responsibility because mental problems can cause many other problems. Is that so hard to understand? It's not assuming, it's a matter of fact. Why put something at risk?

A better way of arguing against his position:

A muslim has absolutely no qualities that would make them liable to suicide.
Reply 16

So it a fact that someone with mental health problems is going to go around killing people.

There is also a risk that the new employed Muslim pilot is a terrorist waiting for his opportunity.
Reply 17
bad but won't care too much
he died for his actions so justice is there
Original post by ngb9320
So it a fact that someone with mental health problems is going to go around killing people.

There is also a risk that the new employed Muslim pilot is a terrorist waiting for his opportunity.

Why aren't you getting my point?

I'm not saying that every person with a mental health problem will go around killing people.

Someone with mental health problems should NOT be given a job with such responsibility without getting the right treatment first so that they then can go onto doing the job they want...
Reply 19
Original post by DiceTheSlice
".... You had one job..."

they should have shaken him off.

Quick Reply

Latest