Flying Cookie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys!!!! I made a video on tips on how to maximise your chances of getting an offer for a PhD!!

Can you think of any more?
ckfeister
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
lol xd
ILikeYourFace
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That annoyed me so much for some reason. I think it was the intro or everything, i couldn't watch anymore.
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You forgot to speak of the research proposal, and getting references and good grades, although they are the most important elements of a successful application. Work experience is a bonus.
Flying Cookie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Josb)
You forgot to speak of the research proposal, and getting references and good grades, although they are the most important elements of a successful application. Work experience is a bonus.
Research proposal? In the UK? There is no such thing for most (science) PhDs. You do whatever is available in the pool of supervisors and their projects. References are not a challenge for most people who aren't for some reason problematic. Grades are easily less relevant than experience - it's easy to get good grades, actually, and most applicants have the required grades, any higher grades make no difference. Experience is everything. Again, as far as science PhDs go.
Josb
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Flying Cookie)
Research proposal? In the UK? There is no such thing for most (science) PhDs. You do whatever is available in the pool of supervisors and their projects. References are not a challenge for most people who aren't for some reason problematic. Grades are easily less relevant than experience - it's easy to get good grades, actually, and most applicants have the required grades, any higher grades make no difference. Experience is everything. Again, as far as science PhDs go.
I'm in the Arts and this is how it goes. Change the name of your video and call it "How to get a PhD Offer in Sciences".
doomy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Research experience, mostly in terms having RA is everything. And by everything here I mean the quality of your references. Other "experience" is more or less useless in the eyes of the admission staff, especially in the UK. Don't even get me started on the importance of research interests and areas in terms of a broader research proposal.

Do not assume grades are easy to get. Sure, for top places grades and GRE scores are merely the cutoff, but saying that "any higher grades make no difference" is utterly wrong.

You are competing fiercely for funding and everything matters.

The video was overall extremely annoying and irritating. if you are going to promote yourself talking about a career in academia with the seriousness and performance of a "10 things boys hate about you" video, at least provide information that isn't wrong.
Zefiros
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Uhm, I am in the sciences and sure had to submit a research proposal. Of course, that is usually something you write after consulting a potential supervisor and agreeing on a topic. And grades were definitely very important, probably more so than experience. Especially for the funding applications, it is a very high plus if you come top in your class, even more so if you come top in your class at a top university.

Starting to wonder what you study and where ...
Flying Cookie
Rep:
?
It seems like the PhD programme can determine the weight of the application elements.

This is my experience for an interdisciplinary biosciences PhD at UCL already organised in terms of projects, structure, etc. so a research proposal doesn't come into it, and grades are irrelevant (who doesn't get a 2.1/1 anyway?) compared with experience. The interview is based on experience, and getting work experience also sorts out the references.

Why the hate though? There are different application experiences. Just because the description is a general PhD doesn't invalidate my experiences. You have the opportunity to add to them, that's why I asked for more tips.
Josb
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It seems like the PhD programme can determine the weight of the application elements.

This is my experience for an interdisciplinary biosciences PhD at UCL already organised in terms of projects, structure, etc. so a research proposal doesn't come into it, and grades are irrelevant (who doesn't get a 2.1/1 anyway?) compared with experience. The interview is based on experience, and getting work experience also sorts out the references.

Why the hate though? There are different application experiences. Just because the description is a general PhD doesn't invalidate my experiences. You have the opportunity to add to them, that's why I asked for more tips.
You got a PhD whose subject was already written; hence why you didn't have to write a proposal. This is not that common and the vast majority of PhDs - especially in the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences - are "open", eg. the applicant has to write their own subject. In this kind of application, the proposal is the key element.

More generally and whatever the field, the applicant has to demonstrate his research maturity, through his proposal, transcripts, references, samples of work, and work experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
11.11%
No (8)
88.89%

Watched Threads