Is education wasted on the young? Watch

99conbon99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Generally young people do not appreciate what they have and the fact that the get education. How far do you agree with the statement?
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Incorrect statement.

education is never wasted.

Is it appreciated by the young may be a more relevant question.

Eduction however should always be targeted at the young though, but should be open to everybody.

the thing is that you tend to be able to reflect a little more on education the older you get.
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The young do need education whether they appreciate it at the time or not they will appreciate it when they grow older.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Okorange)
The young do need education whether they appreciate it at the time or not they will appreciate it when they grow older.
Exactly
German123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You learn new things everyday.

Some people take schooling for granted but that is not the case for everyone.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nonsense. Education is not a waste on young, just because the young generation needs education to take the place of the older educated generation.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think I would be willing to go through high school as an adult.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
No wonder, as an adult goes to an university as a rule - or to work, if an adult has finished education at university.
Europhile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The young do not really need an academic education. They need a life education to start with and once they've had that life education and have interacted with their environment they will then be mature enough, through experience, to truly benefit from an academic setting.
garfeeled
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Non sense. Education is only more appreciated by the old because they have used it. Further still young people are easier to educate than older people.
Associativity
Badges: 9
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
I certainly wouldn't, unless they actually made it half decent. I feel really let down by the overall quality of secondary education, even though I went to a fairly good school. I was never pushed far enough, and I felt that I learnt more at a level than I had learnt probably during my entire time at secondary school, and A level tuition is not ideal. We often had sports teachers teaching us topics like history and languages, and would have simple topics dragged out over an hour lesson. I often found myself finishing early, asking for more work, and getting fobbed off with rubbish.

Overall, children do need education, however they fight so hard against it that they take many years to learn what they could in a very short space of time. It is a shame that for example most people will only take 3 years to get a degree, but will have spent twice that in primary school. But I guess teachers couldn't go any faster, due to the level of messing about that we all did.

If I could have, well, we started education when we were 4 and finished when we were 18 (including a level), that's 14 years of education for free, and all the time in the world to do it, think of all the stuff I could do. That's enough for 3 degrees and a phd!
purplehedgehog11
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To an extent I think it is, speaking as a future mature student.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by garfeeled)
Non sense. Education is only more appreciated by the old because they have used it. Further still young people are easier to educate than older people.
I guess you are right in general, but I would say older people who are used to use their mind and to learn something new again and again, have no problems to get educated.
The_Mighty_Bush
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's not wasted on the young. It's wasted by being overwhelming controlled by the state and many vested interests like public sector unions.
SnoochToTheBooch
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It was on me till I was in my teens and it started showing signs of getting interesting. It's just mostly crap, always will be, no matter how enthusiastic the teacher.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
It was on me till I was in my teens and it started showing signs of getting interesting. It's just mostly crap, always will be, no matter how enthusiastic the teacher.
I understand you. There are always some lessons which seem to be irrelevant to know or to learn, no matter how interesting a topic is. Made the same experience.
morgan8002
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Associativity)
I certainly wouldn't, unless they actually made it half decent. I feel really let down by the overall quality of secondary education, even though I went to a fairly good school. I was never pushed far enough, and I felt that I learnt more at a level than I had learnt probably during my entire time at secondary school, and A level tuition is not ideal. We often had sports teachers teaching us topics like history and languages, and would have simple topics dragged out over an hour lesson. I often found myself finishing early, asking for more work, and getting fobbed off with rubbish.

Overall, children do need education, however they fight so hard against it that they take many years to learn what they could in a very short space of time. It is a shame that for example most people will only take 3 years to get a degree, but will have spent twice that in primary school. But I guess teachers couldn't go any faster, due to the level of messing about that we all did.

If I could have, well, we started education when we were 4 and finished when we were 18 (including a level), that's 14 years of education for free, and all the time in the world to do it, think of all the stuff I could do. That's enough for 3 degrees and a phd!
I agree completely. It wouldn't have been wasted if we were actually taught a decent amount of content or encouraged/taught how to self-study.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (18)
7.09%
They might tell the bully (26)
10.24%
I don't think they'd understand (42)
16.54%
It might lead to more bullying (91)
35.83%
There's nothing they could do (77)
30.31%

Watched Threads