Diesel/ petrol question Watch

Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I'm looking to buy my first car. I had two instructors, the first instructor had a really small 1 litre Hyundai petrol and my other instructor had a DS3 Turbo 1.4 diesel. I found myself stalling quite a bit in the petrol car but literally never in the diesel car. My question is, are all petrol cars like this? Can they move off without any gas without stalling? I'd often just use the clutch to move off in the diesel...

Thanks!
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A modern 4 cylinder turbo diesel drives the same as a large capacity petrol v8 - lots of low down torque but doesn't like to rev. To answer your question - that's exactly how you drive a big engine petrol car in traffic - just let the clutch out a bit.

The reason you stalled the little petrol engine was simply that you need to give it a few more revs before letting out the clutch. It's quite simply really. You just need to learn to add a few revs BEFORE you let out the clutch then drive as normal once it's moving.
Rep:
?
(Original post by JC.)
A modern 4 cylinder turbo diesel drives the same as a large capacity petrol v8 - lots of low down torque but doesn't like to rev. To answer your question - that's exactly how you drive a big engine petrol car in traffic - just let the clutch out a bit.

The reason you stalled the little petrol engine was simply that you need to give it a few more revs before letting out the clutch. It's quite simply really. You just need to learn to add a few revs BEFORE you let out the clutch then drive as normal once it's moving.

So are bigger petrol engines less likely to stall?
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zuki)
[/B]

So are bigger petrol engines less likely to stall?
Yes. Wasn't that obvious from the paragraph above the one you quoted?
Rep:
?
(Original post by JC.)
Yes. Wasn't that obvious from the paragraph above the one you quoted?
Needed to confirm <3
Steeps
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Learning clutch control is something you can practice once you have a car, but buying a diesel just because it's not something you've learned yet is like going out to buy an auto because you've not practiced changing gears enough. Once you get the hang of it it's fairly simple to hold a petrol engine clutch on the bite and apply some revs when releasing either the handbrake or footbrake, then fully releasing the clutch.

While the diesel might be easier to drive now, I would consider a petrol engine for a first car if a) it's going to be small and b) you're mostly doing short journeys/low mileage as they will be more cost efficient than running a diesel from cold all the time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (114)
17.73%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.53%
Not great so far... (229)
35.61%
I want to drop out! (123)
19.13%

Watched Threads