Jacob120398
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey!

At GCSE level I was doing well, until I had to have a Spinal fusion operation which was in late March. Unfortunately they were not able to move this to any other date earlier in the year or I'd have the same problem in the next year with AS-exams. So I underwent the operation, spending 6/7 weeks out of school and on a combination of medication to combat the pain. Then I sat the exams in May, and got my results. But I felt that I would've done a lot better if I hadn't had to have this procedure. As I found it very painful and tiring revising with my new spinal configuration only managing less than 1 hour and a half a day 3 days a week. As a posed to 5 hours in school 5 days per week. I came out with Straight B's and one A. I decided not to resit the exams as I felt like I'd be adding a lot more to my work load in college and, my tutors already advised against me taking the courses I wanted to take due to grades. They even put me on a 3 course program (instead of 4) which constitutes of Mathematics (Mechanics), Physics and Geography. I have a passion for all of these subjects especially Geography, And I am on target for straight A's at AS-level. I just wanted to know, how severely will my GCSE results will limit my choices when it comes to ultimately choosing a university?

Thanks!
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You've got pretty decent EC's, and Cambridge don't really care about GCSEs as much as AS UMS, so you should be fine.
antisansculotte
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you submit an ECF (extenuating circumstances form) alongside your application there shouldn't be a problem. They'll understand your GCSE performance was unavoidable (but still good!), especially if you manage really good marks on your AS.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (142)
17.95%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
26.93%
Not great so far... (283)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (153)
19.34%

Watched Threads