The Student Room Group

Feminism and biology.

Feminists say men and women are equal, and seem to feel this is true in all areas.

If men and women are truly equal, then biologically speaking they should, on average, have equal strength, equal intelligence etc. However this is not the case. Men and women are genetically designed to be different.

Therefore, men and women can never be equal.

Discuss

Scroll to see replies

It is in terms of socio-political equality rather than biological equality.
Reply 2
Original post by DiddyDec
It is in terms of socio-political equality rather than biological equality.

what about when feminists say it is sexist to use the term 'man up', because it implies men are stronger than women.
Original post by tim_123
what about when feminists say it is sexist to use the term 'man up', because it implies men are stronger than women.

You have to remember that many feminists are complete nutters. Anyone who tries to argue that men and women are biologically equal is retarded.
You have to remember that many feminists are complete nutters. Anyone who tries to argue that men and women are biologically equal is retarded.

many? I would say that is an underestimation. I would say most are
Reply 5
Original post by tim_123

It varies as well remember, some men are much smaller in stature than others, although in general males have more strength.
Original post by LondonBrah_
many? I would say that is an underestimation. I would say most are

I struggle to identify with feminists as its inherently a top down agenda for the purpose of selfish social engineering. Not about equality. However, this is a silly thread title haha
Go to sleep
Reply 8
Original post by hows_wally
I struggle to identify with feminists as its inherently a top down agenda for the purpose of selfish social engineering. Not about equality. However, this is a silly thread title haha
Original post by Daenerys...
Go to sleep

i think it's a more than valid point that hardline feminists seem to completely ignore
Original post by tim_123
i think it's a more than valid point that hardline feminists seem to completely ignore

Hardline feminists should be given no credibility i wouldn't concern yourself with them tbh haha.
Reply 10
Original post by hows_wally
Hardline feminists should be given no credibility i wouldn't concern yourself with them tbh haha.

its not something that concerns me per se. However, when a group of people are so blind to the facts It interests me.

religion is a similar thing that baffles me, and by that I mean in this day and age I don't understand why people follow religion. And therefore I am interested in these people and their views
Reply 11

Well it probably depends on what you mean by the word 'equal'. I mean, obviously men and women are not the same. But then, I think a feminist would probably argue that men and women should be treated as 'equals'. I think that's different.
Original post by tim_123
its not something that concerns me per se. However, when a group of people are so blind to the facts It interests me.

religion is a similar thing that baffles me, and by that I mean in this day and age I don't understand why people follow religion. And therefore I am interested in these people and their views

Oh im with you on both groups, very interesting groups haha. Complete nutters
Original post by Pride
Well it probably depends on what you mean by the word 'equal'. I mean, obviously men and women are not the same. But then, I think a feminist would probably argue that men and women should be treated as 'equals'. I think that's different.

Equals yes, but not biologically equal.
Reply 14
Original post by Pride

ok let's talk about a sociological level. every time I've ever got into a fight in town with another guy, the cops have either banged me up for the night or taken me home. Now, being treated equally should then mean that, if a girl picks a fight, and we have a decent scrap, that the same thing should happen.

However, with us not being equal, id be much more likely to end up on serious charges for hitting a girl (even if she hit me first) than if I hit a guy
Feminist here and I completely agree that men and women are not biologically identical/equal, that is just stupid. That does not mean we cannot be equal though. Men and women both have their own biological strengths and weaknesses. The way I see it is that you're more likely to see a man in a hands on, labour type of work. However, you're more likely to see women in more nurturing type jobs, such as nursing. But our biology does not define us, and we should not ridicule men and women that want to do things that are typically associated with their gender. It is about shattering these gender stereotypes. The biology of our body seems to be an indictor to how we're likely to act, and define what we enjoy, but we all know there anomalies, and many men and women (if not most) possess some qualities that may be typical in the other gender.

Referring to the 'man up' phrase, it is not the worst thing in the world, but it does make me cringe when someone says it. Not only is it sexist to women, but is sexist to men.
Original post by tim_123
ok let's talk about a sociological level. every time I've ever got into a fight in town with another guy, the cops have either banged me up for the night or taken me home. Now, being treated equally should then mean that, if a girl picks a fight, and we have a decent scrap, that the same thing should happen.

However, with us not being equal, id be much more likely to end up on serious charges for hitting a girl (even if she hit me first) than if I hit a guy

A friend of mine got arrested a few weeks back for breaking up a fight between two girls, now that is a funny one.
Reply 17
Original post by tim_123

Not exactly sure what point you're making there, but I think that highlights the problem with feminism I think. Feminism doesn't campaign against inequalities like that, because it's not in the interests of women. The focus is on women's rights, rather than on equality.
Man up just means grow some balls it's not sexist.
A friend of mine got arrested a few weeks back for breaking up a fight between two girls, now that is a funny one.

Since when was trying to stop fighting illegal:confused:

Feminists are obsessed with equality(far too obsessed) with it they insist if there isn't a 50/50 split there must be something wrong, society is starting to conform to this very silly idea with people insistent there must be a gender bias if this split doesn't occur.The skills and abilities of men and women differ on average, their brains are built differently on average.I remember reading how people think there is a gender bias in politics(I think Emma Watson mentioned this) and yet based on party member statistics(which indicates interest in politics) and the amount of women, who actually stand for election it is clear this bias doesn't exist.In academia it has been shown that women outperform men on average however men have much greater variance in their intelligence and those who seem to get the very best results are men, thus this is why at Oxbridge there are more men than women for subjects like Maths.For sexism to exist it has to be proven that there is selection based entirely on gender or rejection and not just simply because men/women don't perform as well on average on a particular test.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest