I feel a need to lie about my background... Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I know this sounds pathetic but I feel like I need to pass myself off as coming from a lower background than I do because I feel people judge me otherwise... I'm kind of stereotypical - went to a public school, like shooting, live in a country home and although not my immediate family, my family are titled (grandfather is a Baron).

When people know this they take the piss out of me. My brother went to the University of York and everyone there took the piss out of him for it.

Why don't people realise that reverse snobbery is just as bad as snobbery? How would they like it if I said "Oh look at you and your **it state school and crappy council estate, I don't like people like you usually no offence"
Wahrheit
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I know this sounds pathetic but I feel like I need to pass myself off as coming from a lower background than I do because I feel people judge me otherwise... I'm kind of stereotypical - went to a public school, like shooting, live in a country home and although not my immediate family, my family are titled (grandfather is a Baron).

When people know this they take the piss out of me. My brother went to the University of York and everyone there took the piss out of him for it.

Why don't people realise that reverse snobbery is just as bad as snobbery? How would they like it if I said "Oh look at you and your **it state school and crappy council estate, I don't like people like you usually no offence"
Yeah reverse snobbery can be absolutely vicious and it's far more prevalent. Agree with this.
Baron of Sealand
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You don't have to pretend. You don't have to mention your background.
Umarahh
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
People that judge you on anything other than your personality are compleeeeetely irrelevent. Don't take any notice and don't even bother lying to people to make yourself look better, stay the way you are and you'll be fine.
VannR
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is nothing more than classism. The fact that it is being directed at you is understandable in the context of societal norms; the very fact that your family is titled is a communication of the fact that you are from a different social class, and so people who are of a different class will discriminate against you - there are plenty of examples of the complementary case.

However, it is true that in an ideal world we would eliminate such petty matters from society and focus on true progress. It is a shame that you feel that you should lie about your social class as a result. I am of the mind that one should be completely honest about themselves, and if others cannot accept you, you should accept that yourself and move on from them.
User1824259
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you're not a snob, don't worry.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by clh_hilary)
You don't have to pretend. You don't have to mention your background.
My background is kind of obvious with the way I speak. Plus, people inevitably ask whereabouts you're from which leads to where in that area and which school you went to there. Obviously from where I live (not a house on a street but the house has a name) and where I have to say I went to school, it's pretty easy for people to find out. And as you get closer to anyone they ask these things anyway
Anonymous #1
(Original post by crosstalk)
If you're not a snob, don't worry.
It isn't as simple as that. I'm not a snob yet the vast majority of people think posh (which admittedly I am) is the same thing as snob.

It's other people who are snobbish towards me really, I would never judge anyone else on their background being lower than mine and any attempt to do so would be met with complete shock and horror yet the other way around is prevalent, as another person said.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's simply envy, ignore these people and assume insecure enough to attack you for your class are inferior and not worth knowing.
TheTechN1304
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is so true omg. I was at a uni interview and had to pretend I went to a state school. How sad is that?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads