Californian lawyer proposes death for homosexuals under 'Sodomite Suppression Act' Watch

Everglow
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by The Independent)
In news that has somehow actually happened, a lawyer from California has proposed a bill that would legalise murdering gay and lesbian people in the state.

In even worse news, the ballot - the Sodomite Suppression Act - will actually be put to the signature-gathering stage as under Californian law, anyone who pays a $200 (£134) fee can propose legislation without it being blocked by the state’s attorney general.

Matt McLaughlin’s bill dubs gay sex as a “monstrous evil that Almighty God… commands us to supress on pain of utter destruction”, and calls on gay people to be “put to death by bullets to the head or by any other convenient method”.

Not only can officials not block the bill, it’s unlikely that McLaughlin can be disbarred - even though disciplinary action can be taken in the event of acts of “moral turpitude” being committed - on the grounds of free speech.

The only bright spot is that McLaughlin, who previously tried and failed to get the Bible designated as a text book in schools, will never see the bill passed into law, as it is unlikely in the extreme it will attract the 366,000 signatures it needs to make it to the ballot paper, and, more importantly, what he proposes is patently 100 per cent illegal.
http://i100.independent.co.uk/articl...ll--xyAl8zQICe

Read the official document proposal
here.

It worries me that lawyers like this are allowed to practice law with such disgusting views. Needless to say this is a diabolical proposed act, and the chances of it progressing anywhere are slim to none. What do you guys think?
AdamCee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
God bless 'Murica. Land of the free. Unless you're gay.
DorianGrayism
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Meh.

I am not sure what there is to say that isn't obvious.

Whilst the proposal is absurd, the First Amendment gives equal protection to all (including idiots) and that is still better than most other places.
_Fergo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What a lunatic...

Posted from TSR Mobile
sacca
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
America is the WORST country on the planet, pure scum!
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reluire)
http://i100.independent.co.uk/articl...ll--xyAl8zQICe

Read the official document proposal
here.

It worries me that lawyers like this are allowed to practice law with such disgusting views. Needless to say this is a diabolical proposed act, and the chances of it progressing anywhere are slim to none. What do you guys think?
Are you proposing vetting lawyers so only those holding a certain political viewpoint could practice?
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sacca)
Yeah, it's really not.

I'll never understand californias obsession with direct democracy. Anyone bring able to propose legislation if they pay a fee? It just seems bizarre an stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That country's Christian right is truly aspiring to be the American Taliban.

http://adultthought.ucsd.edu/Culture...n_Taliban.html
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sacca)
So bad that every year several million immigrants from all over the world insist on emigrating to the U.S.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just another crazy person, I'm sure there are many more ridiculous bills proposed considering it only costs $200.
slade p
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
America is the biggest supporter of homosexuality.
Everglow
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Are you proposing vetting lawyers so only those holding a certain political viewpoint could practice?
No - I just find it concerning that a presumably educated lawyer could advocate something as horrific as this. I don't mean to say he shouldn't be allowed to practice law, but rather I just find it concerning that people like him are practicing law with such draconian ideas.
Wade-
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sacca)
You should be hating places like Saudi or China, they're much worse to women

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wade-
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reluire)
No - I just find it concerning that a presumably educated lawyer could advocate something as horrific as this. I don't mean to say he shouldn't be allowed to practice law, but rather I just find it concerning that people like him are practicing law with such draconian ideas.
Intelligence doesn't mean you have a lack of ignorance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (121)
65.05%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
20.97%
Yes but I might change my mind (26)
13.98%

Watched Threads