sodoge
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Posted from TSR Mobile

Has this happened to anyone else?

So it all started today when I got my math test back. I'm usually good at math, but I completely bombed this test. At first I felt bad and disappointed with myself. Then it snowballed into this semi-depressive state where I completely lost faith in myself. I started to think I wasn't good at anything, and I wouldn't amount to anything after high school.

Now, some explanation. I'm in the International Baccalaurate program, I do competitive swimming, and I play the piano. This sounds good and all, but during this dark"epiphany", I realized I'm not particularly good at any of those 3 things. My marks are good, but still below average in each of my IB classes, I'm a good swimmer but at a regional level, not even provincial (I live in Canada). And I'd say I'm good at piano, but other 16 year Olds who play piano are much more ahead of me. But I also realized I don't have any particular interests either. I'm sort of interested in lots of things, but I don't know anything about them. My marks in IB are literally all the same, so I don't even have a specific area which I excel in.

I just feel like I'm not noticeably good at anything, or have any passionate interests. I want to go into aerospace engineering after high school, but I chose that because nothing else seemed interesting, and it seemed sort of cool. Not that I'm particularly good at math and science. So my question is: does anyone else feel like this? Is this a legitimate problem, or am I just bring whiny? sorry for the long post
Pride
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you think you'd only be satisfied if you found a skill at which you truly were the best?
I think you clearly do have talents and interests. I think it's unreasonable to expect to have no competition in anything you're good at.
sodoge
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a competitive swimmer. Competition is a huge factor in my swimming, and I believe it translates very well into other parts of my life. I just feel like I'll study add hard as I can, as much as I can, but I still don't get the results I would like in school. I'm scared this would affect me later when I apply for uni, and then when I go for a job. Is this a possibility, or am I just bring paranoid? :/
Pride
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sodoge)
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a competitive swimmer. Competition is a huge factor in my swimming, and I believe it translates very well into other parts of my life. I just feel like I'll study add hard as I can, as much as I can, but I still don't get the results I would like in school. I'm scared this would affect me later when I apply for uni, and then when I go for a job. Is this a possibility, or am I just bring paranoid? :/
Well perhaps you could look to improve your revision techniques. Effort is only part of the story. Try different ways of revising. Try a different way of learning in your lessons, focus on your mistakes and fill in any gaps in your knowledge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
muna88
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi can anyone make out any of the letters here Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1427537975.549113.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  46.9 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads