r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
#1
I have accepted my firm choice a few weeks ago as I applied to them through extra so I don't have an insurance and I know the risks through applying through extra. I have however changed my mind and want to be put back into extra to try for a closer uni as there have been a change in family circumstances and my course is 4 years which I cant afford to do and I don't want to do. I am planning to call the uni that I want to apply to on Monday to see if they have any spaces and then im calling my current uni afterwards. I have read that you can be released from them and it is quicker before results day aswell but what do I say to them? how long will it take for them to release me? are they allowed to refuse to release me? does it come up on track if they decide to release me?

if anyone has any advice or has been through the same process then any advice is appreciated. I am really stressed out about this but I know its my own stupid fault thanks.
0
reply
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
#2
Report 4 years ago
#2
(Original post by r-t)
I have accepted my firm choice a few weeks ago as I applied to them through extra so I don't have an insurance and I know the risks through applying through extra. I have however changed my mind and want to be put back into extra to try for a closer uni as there have been a change in family circumstances and my course is 4 years which I cant afford to do and I don't want to do. I am planning to call the uni that I want to apply to on Monday to see if they have any spaces and then im calling my current uni afterwards. I have read that you can be released from them and it is quicker before results day aswell but what do I say to them?
What you have said above: that a change in circumstances prevents you from taking the place up.
how long will it take for them to release me?
Depends entirely on the speed of the office staff.

are they allowed to refuse to release me?
Nobody is going to force you to go to university against your will!

does it come up on track if they decide to release me?
Yes
if anyone has any advice or has been through the same process then any advice is appreciated. I am really stressed out about this but I know its my own stupid fault thanks.
See bold above. Given the course of your application this year, have you considered taking a year out? Better to make choices in a calmer frame of mind than grab at what's left over in a rush and have to go through yet another process of changing or backing out.
0
reply
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
#3
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
#3
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
See bold above. Given the course of your application this year, have you considered taking a year out? Better to make choices in a calmer frame of mind than grab at what's left over in a rush and have to go through yet another process of changing or backing out.
thank you for that clear response. I know it looks like I cant make a proper decision but the uni that I applied to was one of the original 5 unis I put down. I declined it because of the position on the league tables which I now know decisions shouldn't be based on that. a gap year really isn't for me tbh and I know id lose all motivation to return back to education afterwards. I don't mind going through the process either because although it is nerve racking it is better than being stressed out like this. I'm just going to have to try like every uni close to me if my uni in mind doesn't have places. thanks again
0
reply
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
#4
Report 4 years ago
#4
(Original post by r-t)
thank you for that clear response. I know it looks like I cant make a proper decision but the uni that I applied to was one of the original 5 unis I put down. I declined it because of the position on the league tables which I now know decisions shouldn't be based on that. a gap year really isn't for me tbh and I know id lose all motivation to return back to education afterwards. I don't mind going through the process either because although it is nerve racking it is better than being stressed out like this. I'm just going to have to try like every uni close to me if my uni in mind doesn't have places. thanks again
Well, you know yourself best.
0
reply
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
#5
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
#5
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
Well, you know yourself best.
I don't think I do nowadays tbh haha. thanks for your help
0
reply
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
#6
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
#6
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
See bold above. Given the course of your application this year, have you considered taking a year out? Better to make choices in a calmer frame of mind than grab at what's left over in a rush and have to go through yet another process of changing or backing out.
By the way do I need to get my referee to write to my uni or call UCAS first or can I just call the university directly concerned?


Posted from TSR Mobile
0
reply
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
#7
Report 4 years ago
#7
(Original post by r-t)
By the way do I need to get my referee to write to my uni or call UCAS first or can I just call the university directly concerned?


Posted from TSR Mobile
The ball's in your court. Nothing to do with your referee. Call the university and take it from there. Ucas only does what universities tell it to do.
1
reply
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
#8
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
#8
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
The ball's in your court. Nothing to do with your referee. Call the university and take it from there. Ucas only does what universities tell it to do.
Ok good thanks.


Posted from TSR Mobile
0
reply
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
#9
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
#9
Has anyone got anymore advice on what I should do?


Posted from TSR Mobile
0
reply
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
#10
Report 4 years ago
#10
(Original post by r-t)
Has anyone got anymore advice on what I should do?


Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly as Carnationlilyrose suggests (she knows her stuff!) just give them a ring. It should be possible to sort quite quickly. Good luck
1
reply
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
#11
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
#11
(Original post by Kitty Pimms)
Exactly as Carnationlilyrose suggests (she knows her stuff!) just give them a ring. It should be possible to sort quite quickly. Good luck
Thank you I just like having advice from a few people haha. I just read about how they don't have to release you because you are officially committed which is worrying :/


Posted from TSR Mobile
0
reply
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
#12
Report 4 years ago
#12
(Original post by Kitty Pimms)
Exactly as Carnationlilyrose suggests (she knows her stuff!) just give them a ring. It should be possible to sort quite quickly. Good luck
:colondollar::five:As do you.
0
reply
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
#13
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
#13
I just got released from my firm uni, it took about 2 minutes thanks guys


Posted from TSR Mobile
0
reply
pakhtungem
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#14
Report 4 years ago
#14
I made a mistake! I've already chose my firm choice for Derby but got an interview recently from hallam and if I do well in that will I be able to make that my firm choice??

Is that possible?  I heard you can't change your firm choice once its on ucas

Plus the deadline is not due yet so can I still remove derby as my firm choice? How?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile


Posted from TSR Mobile
0
reply
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
#15
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
#15
(Original post by pakhtungem)
I made a mistake! I've already chose my firm choice for Derby but got an interview recently from hallam and if I do well in that will I be able to make that my firm choice??

Is that possible?  I heard you can't change your firm choice once its on ucas

Plus the deadline is not due yet so can I still remove derby as my firm choice? How?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile


Posted from TSR Mobile
if you made it your firm choice within the last 7 days then you can call UCAS and they can amend this for you but if you made it your firm choice on track more than 7 days ago then you will have to ring Derby and see if they can release you, if they say yes then it shouldn't take long (my one took about 30 seconds. if they then say yes then you can firm Hallam if they give you an offer. they may not give you an offer though so then you would have to go through extra which can be quite risky. I don't understand how you firmed your offer before receiving a decision from Hallam because you supposed to wait until all your universities respond so you should have known your situation at Hallam before firming Derby
0
reply
pakhtungem
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#16
Report 4 years ago
#16
The problem is: Hallam rejected me at first so I thought I have no more choices apart from derby (I also got rejected from my other 3) I now have an interview from hallam because they made a mistake (long story) so I want to go to that one IF I do well at the interview? Do u see my situation lol? Sorry if it sounds confusing

Please help on what I should do next. Shall I carry on holding my firm at derby until I get a decision after interview from hallam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
0
reply
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
#17
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
#17
(Original post by pakhtungem)
The problem is: Hallam rejected me at first so I thought I have no more choices apart from derby (I also got rejected from my other 3) I now have an interview from hallam because they made a mistake (long story) so I want to go to that one IF I do well at the interview? Do u see my situation lol? Sorry if it sounds confusing

Please help on what I should do next. Shall I carry on holding my firm at derby until I get a decision after interview from hallam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ah okay now I understand your situation. Hallam really messed you about. I suggest keeping your offer for Derby now just incase Hallam doesn't give you an offer after the interview so that way you at least have Derby to fall back on. If they do make you an offer then you should make this your insurance and then call Derby and ask them to release you to your insurance which would be Hallam
0
reply
pakhtungem
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#18
Report 4 years ago
#18
Would it be too late then? If I do all this after my Interview results? That's what I'm panicking about if Derby suddenly puts me on a list of firm people:dontknow: or is there a deadline for them too?
Is there a way of me reversing it all like not having a firm or insured choice yet? And making my mind up after hallam give me a decision.
Thank you so much! Your answer made me feel better about the whole situation

Posted from TSR Mobile
0
reply
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
#19
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
#19
(Original post by pakhtungem)
Would it be too late then? If I do all this after my Interview results? That's what I'm panicking about if Derby suddenly puts me on a list of firm people:dontknow: or is there a deadline for them too?
Is there a way of me reversing it all like not having a firm or insured choice yet? And making my mind up after hallam give me a decision.
Thank you so much! Your answer made me feel better about the whole situation

Posted from TSR Mobile
when is your interview? if you firmed Derby then you already are on a list of people even if you haven't received a conformational email but I managed to get out of my firm choice even after I received my conformational email. there is no way of reversing it, 3 of your choices already said no and once you ring up to be released from Derby then track will show that you have declined their offer so you will only be left with Hallam if they offer you a place. I suggest as previously mentioned just keeping Derby until you get an offer/rejection from Hallam
0
reply
pakhtungem
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#20
Report 4 years ago
#20
Thank you for you advice and my interview is on the 21st April

Posted from TSR Mobile
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads

View All