Guys: which are you more likely to stay with? Watch

LauraMayden1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lol this was really interesting to read. I think there are a lot of beautiful girls with beautiful personalities. I do believe, however, that every girl is beautiful in their own way and men all have different tastes so I'm sure at least some men would be attracted to the
Baron of Sealand
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Latter.
Mike9910
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by aligbutt)
Hi mate,

You have made a good point here. However, I am not fully convinced with your answer. The reason is, you said that personality does not last forever either. I am asking why not? We all know looks will fade away one day however, if you talk about the personality of a person it all depends on the actions of a person i.e the way he/she lived his/her whole life. The world remembers your personality the kind of person you have been your whole life. In the end, nobody cares about your looks. You might be one hell of a good looking GUY or GIRL in your teenage days or at young age but honestly no body gives a ****. you will be remembered by your personality forever. The world calls them Legends!
Yes but you can apply the same reasoning to looks as well. There are many people in history who are remembered and revered solely for being good looking.

However, even people who have left behind a memorable legacy in society, such as a eminent scientist or painter, they too have a finite lifespan when it comes to how long their feats will be remembered for. Given how we can use modern technology to store our history I would say this limit is when humanity dies out. And it will happen. Even the universe won't last forever.

But that's going on a bit of a tangent. I think we need to draw some parameters here. Since we're talking about individuals we should only measure value - IE what is more valuable personality or looks - while the individual is alive. For example a dead person cannot personally benefit from having had a good personality when they were alive (or for having been beautiful when they were alive).

And I'm being generous here because most people will be impacted by neurological disorders and decline at some stage in their life - meaning they will lose their personality before they die.

A more accurate comparison might look something like this: looks last for 45 years vs personality which might last 70 years (when life expectancy is 75 years).
LauraMayden1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lol thanks for finishing my post off but it was actually because my whole post never got posted. Here it is and it's pretty long oops. (Lucky I copied it just in case)

Lol this was really interesting to read. I think there are a lot of beautiful girls with beautiful personalities. I do believe, however, that every girl is beautiful in their own way and men all have different tastes so I'm sure at least some men would be attracted to the "ugly" girls. Men are very visual so I think looks will draw them in and personality will keep them in. That's why if girls are looking for a partner then I do suggest looking after yourself, your body, eat healthy etc I'm not saying you have to have a perfect body (because come on, how many girls have that?) But at least decent enough for guys to find attractive. I also base things on science, and a good body usually indicates signs of fertility so men are attracted to that. As long as you look after yourself then I'm sure guys will find you attractive.

Just curious, but since someone mentioned that guys like kind, submissive girls or something like that, guys, what personality traits do you look for in a girl if you want a long term relationship with her? I'm kind but I'm certainly not submissive. I wouldn't obey everything he says because I'm human and I have rights, being a girl doesn't mean I can't make my own choices. Also, I think some guys actually find shy girls attractive, you can be shy and confident at the same time in my opinion. I'm shy so I don't really like meeting new people and I don't initiate conversations, but I'm sill confident in myself and who I am, and I think that confidence definitely comes across because many times guys in school used to talk to me and start off a conversation (and it wasn't because of my looks because I used to cover my hair and body)

Also, I'm in a relationship right now and my boyfriend likes my witty replies to him. I don't say them in a mean way, more of in a flirty way, so I don't think all guys want someone who's submissive, where's the fun in that?

I remember in school, there was one girl who was extremely pretty, but not so great personality, and she was constantly in a relationship, but with different boys each time. None of the boys in the school actually dated her even when she wanted some of them to (although of course they did have sex with her) it was always boys older than her outside of school. And the boys in my school would go for looks and personality. Whenever I saw them date a girl she would be decent looking but lovely personality. Maybe as boys go to college they are more influenced by peers and society to just go for really good looking girls for sex cause you can't have not had sex by the time you're in college (so society says) I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think option 2 girls would go for the guys who go for option 1 anyway, well I wouldn't lol. Also, I think it's true how a lot of not pretty girls make themselves feel better by looking down on pretty girls' personalities which in turn just give them a bitter personality. I'm definitely not super pretty, but my boyfriend thinks I'm the most beautiful girl on the planet and that's enough for me. I think, as someone else posted, girls do want to make their boyfriend go crazy over them, if my boyfriend said to me that he finds my looks ok but my personality great, I think I would feel inadequate because I would want to be able to turn him on with my looks. Ok I'm gonna stop writing now because I feel like I've written an essay with bad grammar and paragraphing.
Advanced Subsidiary
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by -Rainbow Drops-)
I find it funny how most guys will say number 2 but in reality go for number 1

Posted from TSR Mobile
"I find it funny how most girls want good guys but in reality go for ********s."

You see how ridiculous that sounds?

Every girl I know is currently dating a good guy, and most guys I know are dating girls who are pretty good to the core - not drop-dead gorgeous, with zero personality.

Not that the two are mutually exclusive however.
Mike9910
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
IQ is a test of nothing more than how well you will pass tests...so te received understanding of intelligence. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...s-8425911.html

Also read up one my reply to Europhile
For sure IQ tests are not the perfect way of measuring intelligence but IQ does correlate with many traits that you would suspect an intelligenct person would be linked with: such as earning power, education levels and social status. Even if IQ tests are only an approximation of intelligence I think it's still a very useful tool for comparing people and their capabilities.

Re your comment to Europhile:
I agree one day we will all get old and we will have to deal with that. People who ascribe allot of their self worth to looks will probably suffer the most - but since society is looks and youth obsessed I don't think it will matter either way how we think - we will suffer anyway: we will be discriminated against because we are old.

The lost of identity from getting old is another problem you eluded to. But this applies to our personality as well. We won't look the same, and we will have to change our identities accordingly, but also we will not have the same role in society either (EG retirement). We will have to make adjustments in both cases. Clinging to an identity based on our looks is just as problematic as clinging to one based on any other factors.
Mike9910
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Foo.mp3)
You appear to be lost in a dreamworld mate..
I was being deliberately outlandish you know!?
I'm trying to compensate for the equally outlandish statements that downplay the significance of looks to a similar degree in the opposite direction.

I would never trade my friends, family or education away, for anything. Money on the other hand is more disposable.
Jibola240
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by LauraMayden1)
Lol thanks for finishing my post off but it was actually because my whole post never got posted. Here it is and it's pretty long oops. (Lucky I copied it just in case)

Lol this was really interesting to read. I think there are a lot of beautiful girls with beautiful personalities. I do believe, however, that every girl is beautiful in their own way and men all have different tastes so I'm sure at least some men would be attracted to the "ugly" girls. Men are very visual so I think looks will draw them in and personality will keep them in. That's why if girls are looking for a partner then I do suggest looking after yourself, your body, eat healthy etc I'm not saying you have to have a perfect body (because come on, how many girls have that?) But at least decent enough for guys to find attractive. I also base things on science, and a good body usually indicates signs of fertility so men are attracted to that. As long as you look after yourself then I'm sure guys will find you attractive.

Just curious, but since someone mentioned that guys like kind, submissive girls or something like that, guys, what personality traits do you look for in a girl if you want a long term relationship with her? I'm kind but I'm certainly not submissive. I wouldn't obey everything he says because I'm human and I have rights, being a girl doesn't mean I can't make my own choices. Also, I think some guys actually find shy girls attractive, you can be shy and confident at the same time in my opinion. I'm shy so I don't really like meeting new people and I don't initiate conversations, but I'm sill confident in myself and who I am, and I think that confidence definitely comes across because many times guys in school used to talk to me and start off a conversation (and it wasn't because of my looks because I used to cover my hair and body)

Also, I'm in a relationship right now and my boyfriend likes my witty replies to him. I don't say them in a mean way, more of in a flirty way, so I don't think all guys want someone who's submissive, where's the fun in that?

I remember in school, there was one girl who was extremely pretty, but not so great personality, and she was constantly in a relationship, but with different boys each time. None of the boys in the school actually dated her even when she wanted some of them to (although of course they did have sex with her) it was always boys older than her outside of school. And the boys in my school would go for looks and personality. Whenever I saw them date a girl she would be decent looking but lovely personality. Maybe as boys go to college they are more influenced by peers and society to just go for really good looking girls for sex cause you can't have not had sex by the time you're in college (so society says) I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think option 2 girls would go for the guys who go for option 1 anyway, well I wouldn't lol. Also, I think it's true how a lot of not pretty girls make themselves feel better by looking down on pretty girls' personalities which in turn just give them a bitter personality. I'm definitely not super pretty, but my boyfriend thinks I'm the most beautiful girl on the planet and that's enough for me. I think, as someone else posted, girls do want to make their boyfriend go crazy over them, if my boyfriend said to me that he finds my looks ok but my personality great, I think I would feel inadequate because I would want to be able to turn him on with my looks. Ok I'm gonna stop writing now because I feel like I've written an essay with bad grammar and paragraphing.
I agree with the last bit. I think a lot of average/ugly looking girls like to believe that very pretty girls tend to have horrible personlities, to make them feel better. Almost like they think that there has to be a trade off of some sort.
pagorai
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Juicy J)
Probably go for the first one, I'd happily put up with a difficult girl for a while as long as I get good sex. I've put up with being in a relationship with an annoying, grumpy girl who has the personality of a brick wall but the sex made up for her complete lack of any other desirable attributes. That's the beauty of a casual relationship, I'm mostly after sex so I'm willing to go for an attractive girl with no character and zero personality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha i love your honesty.
Higherdude
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mike9910)
Hmm, that is strange then you ascribe so much idealism and rosiness to your notions of what relationships are meant to provide.

When I was your age I just wanted to bang as many girls as I could. I lost my virginity to a girl whose name I can't even remember and perhaps never knew. I've never suffered for it.

Perhaps your fussiness is getting in the road of things? Some experience is better than no experience when it comes to girls, and the experience you do get will help you maintain the relationships that you actually care about.

Experience with girls, even if it's not the perfect experience, will also help you feel more independent, mature and confident around women - which are all positive things in terms of personal development.

It's all up to you I suppose.
Haha I suppose it is. Thanks for the advice .
whorace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is very one dimensional, a cold hearted ***** can have other qualities as well that make them even more attractive

Sometimes we don't like things to plan out as we want them to
Schrödingers Cat
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by yo radical one)
I could not disagree more.

If there is one thing a woman absolutely does not want to hear, it's that she is the stable choice, that she is just standard in terms of looks, but has a nice stable personality and that is why you love her :facepalm2:

A woman wants to drive you wild, your lust is precious to her and if she does not make you feel that lust, there can be nothing with her.
You've misunderstood, you're thinking that a good personality makes a woman stable. A good personality is subjective however, people like different personalities so it doens't work like that. There is no stable personality.

Who says a woman can't drive you wild and have a great personality? Like I said, people like different personalities. Like another user said on here, girls with zero personality tend to be **** in bed.
LauraMayden1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Higherdude)
Haha I suppose it is. Thanks for the advice .
I'm a girl, and personally, in my opinion I think it's super duper cute and sweet that you're saving yourself for the right person. I think, when you find the right person, she will really appreciate it. I also saved myself for the right person and he did too, and I'm so happy I did and we both appreciated each other. So yeah again it's up to you, I don't think girls will care much about "experience" if they truly love someone. But yeah it's up to you, everyone is different.
Supermanxxxxxx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends if there both black then naaaa

Posted from TSR Mobile
ProNoob
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Number 2 obviously

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aloogobi123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I honestly don't believe all these guys who say they want no.2. Guys think with their ... Not their brains. Looks > personality. No guy wants to be in a long term tied down relationship do they? So personality isn't important when all guys just want sex
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
(Original post by Supermanxxxxxx)
Depends if there both black then naaaa
(Original post by Supermanxxxxxx)
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol spesh why did you pic this thread up it's old...[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Lol well I'm not black but if they were then you can have a racism badge if you so desperately want one 🏆[/COLOR]
Anonymous #1
*weird ****ed up colour thing no idea what that is didn't add any colour or anything for that matter
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Aloogobi123)
I honestly don't believe all these guys who say they want no.2. Guys think with their ... Not their brains. Looks > personality. No guy wants to be in a long term tied down relationship do they? So personality isn't important when all guys just want sex
Okay aloo gobi
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
18.3%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.09%
Not great so far... (257)
35.89%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.72%

Watched Threads