The Student Room Group

Busines, Management and IT-related courses

I'm in Year 12 at the moment (doing Chemistry, Maths, English and History AS Levels) and I'm looking to study some variation of Business and Management at uni next year - although I might take a gap year if I get a work placement. I am interested in IT too, so considering some ITMB courses and similar because of the lower grades and increased employment prospect, especially under the E-Skills programme.

GCSEs: 10 A*'s
AS (predicted): AABB (maybe C)
A-Level (predicted): A*AB in History, English and Chemistry respectively.

The courses I'm considering are as follows:

Warwick - BSc Information Systems Management & Innovation (AAB)
Warwick - BSc Management (AAA)
Exeter - IT Management for Business (AAB)
Bath - Business Administration (AAA)
Lancaster - BSc Management and Information Technology (AAB)
Lancaster - BSc Management BBA (AAA)
UCL - BSc Information Management For Business (AAB)

Would love to apply for LSE BSc Management (AAB) but they put an A in Maths A-Level as a requirement and there's no way I can do that.

Does anyone have any advice?
Which should I choose - which are the most reputable/employable, and should the stigma attached to new courses such as the ITMB or ISMI be a deterrent?

Please help! Big decisions to make and not much guidance.
First of all, LSE has raised their minimum requirements to AAA, and the course is more quantitative than Management courses in other universities.

Being interested in IT is a big plus. The future is very much IT related. The new dream jobs are with companies like Google, Facebook, Linkedin, and many other IT companies and strong foundation in IT would be a great help. There is a reason for the new courses - there is demand in industry for them. Check out their course modules - Information Management may not be the same as IT Management or IS Management.
Reply 2
Original post by GandalfWhite
First of all, LSE has raised their minimum requirements to AAA, and the course is more quantitative than Management courses in other universities.

Being interested in IT is a big plus. The future is very much IT related. The new dream jobs are with companies like Google, Facebook, Linkedin, and many other IT companies and strong foundation in IT would be a great help. There is a reason for the new courses - there is demand in industry for them. Check out their course modules - Information Management may not be the same as IT Management or IS Management.

I think it's still AAB? ->
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2015/management/N200_BSc_Man.aspx
Reply 4

Ah thank you. Doesn't matter much anyway because an A in Maths A2 is out of my reach, but thanks for the fact check.
With your advice in mind, which of those courses would you choose?
Original post by KatieBee18
Ah thank you. Doesn't matter much anyway because an A in Maths A2 is out of my reach, but thanks for the fact check.
With your advice in mind, which of those courses would you choose?

UCL Info Mgmt for Business and Warwick Info Systems and Innovation. Don't know much about the other IT courses you mentioned so no comments on them. Seriously digital commerce will get much bigger.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending