This discussion is closed.
Acaila
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
LOL in the Higher Geography I picked the hardest out of the optional questions more for the heck of it than for any proper reasoning .

Welcome to our little clan sm0273 Another one for the cause!
Sophetta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Acaila)
LOL in the Higher Geography I picked the hardest out of the optional questions more for the heck of it than for any proper reasoning .

Welcome to our little clan sm0273 Another one for the cause!
Which one do you think is the hardest out of the optional questions? This is the application paper right?
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by sm0273)
Good idea shiny, just gave u rep.
Just to let u all know im @ Scot, went to Scottish school, did Scottish highers and [email protected] Scottish Uni! and want to add myself to the few in favour of this thread proposal
Thanks.
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sophetta)
Which one do you think is the hardest out of the optional questions? This is the application paper right?
Well in the exam the River Basin Management question was a little harder than usual (although not evil imo), and the Rural Land Resources seemed really quite easy as it was all stuff I knew quite well and had revised. However they had that long question on describing the formation of the landscape so I decided to go with the question I'd planned for. My teacher was a bit miffed with me for it, but thinks I probably did alright anyway.
In general, of the three applications I do, I find Urban Change and Management the hardest.
Hellsbells
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kylegibson_2000)
I thought Bio was fair too.

A lot of people were complaining about the data interps.

What uni are you going to and which subject are you studying?
I thought the unit 1 interp was a bit tricky but fine, and the unit 2 interp was really straightforward.

I have an offer for Biochemistry at Oxford (AAA). Yourself?
Hellsbells
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kylegibson_2000)
I have an offer at Edinburgh, thanfully it's not AAA though.

I can't believe Chemistry is on Wednesday morning!

How is your revision going? I'm not sure if I have done enough. I keep going over notes and it's getting boring now. Any suggestions to lighten revision up would be welcomed.
To me, Wednesday morning can't come soon enough. It's only 5 days but feels an age away... is it your last exam too?

I'm afraid I don't know a way to make chemistry revision and less dull and painful. Sorry
The Duck
Report 15 years ago
Christ. (Not entirely blasphemous as those of us who just sat Adv Higher Physics are well aware - there is no God).

That paper was a beast. Would love to hear from anyone who'd agree, preferably if they also managed to get 1.33Hz for some frequency of wave motion question (NOT the right answer, but I don't want to be the only one), and an extra warm welcome extended to those who also thought the 'A to B distance' question on satellites was clearly some kind of joke, and therefore didn't waste time trying to find a non-existent answer.

How is it possible that Physics went as badly as English?!
A0307
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by The Duck)
Christ. (Not entirely blasphemous as those of us who just sat Adv Higher Physics are well aware - there is no God).

That paper was a beast. Would love to hear from anyone who'd agree, preferably if they also managed to get 1.33Hz for some frequency of wave motion question (NOT the right answer, but I don't want to be the only one), and an extra warm welcome extended to those who also thought the 'A to B distance' question on satellites was clearly some kind of joke, and therefore didn't waste time trying to find a non-existent answer.

I didn't think it was too bad actually.

The frequency of wave motion question I couldn't remember the form of the equation (forgot the 2pi) but it was only a couple of marks anyway.

The satellite one I did get an answer but I don't know if it's right - I used theta=w.t to find the angle turned in 86 minutes, then used s=r.theta (from the definition of the radian, theta=s/r) to find the distance on the ground.
rts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

i got 1.3Hz for the frequency of the simple harmonic motion question, but 1.9Hz for the frequency in the wave motion question.

and i did the same as calum for the satellite question, and got 2.4x10^6 m
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Anybody do higher physics today?
PublicSchoolAnn
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Nope but a few of my chums did. Generally they said it was quite a hard paper.
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Interesting. :cool: I didn't get a chance to gauge reaction after my exam really as I left early (wasn't feeling well and just had to get out of that hall). Only person I've spoken too said it was disasterous but I didn't find it too bad personally. Just those nasty little "Which of the following statements is/are true?" questions! Argh! Other than that I forgot a little bit about lasers but managed to waffle I hope . There were some questions that looked like they were put in to catch people up.
mussed
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

I am equally confused, because I thought it was an easy paper. :: is now worried :: Anyone else find it pretty straightforward?
rts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mussed)
I am equally confused, because I thought it was an easy paper. :: is now worried :: Anyone else find it pretty straightforward?
i thought it was ok but it could have been easier (linear motion, distance of closest approach, motion in electric and magnetic fields, wave-particle duality were all missing)
mussed
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rts)
i thought it was ok but it could have been easier (linear motion, distance of closest approach, motion in electric and magnetic fields, wave-particle duality were all missing)
Yes, there was a lot on angular motion, but quite a lot of the questions were ones we'd seen before in past papers. It could have been easier, yes: De Broglie would have been nice
rts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes, there was a lot on angular motion, but quite a lot of the questions were ones we'd seen before in past papers. It could have been easier, yes: De Broglie would have been nice
yeah or a 'describe the bohr model of the hydrogen atom'. when i turned the page and saw the five mark relativity question i thought oh yes. but then it got harder. question 12 (polarised light) was good too actually.
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
LOL just read that .

To quote Star Trekkin' by the Firm "It's worse than that it's physics Jim!"
A0307
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I thought it was straightforward, so was maths, so hopefully thats 2 A's so far. Now I'm just praying for a nice chemistry paper aswell, I need straight A's!
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yay! Glad to hear everyone's exams are going well for the most part. Long may it continue.
The Duck
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rts)
yeah or a 'describe the bohr model of the hydrogen atom'. when i turned the page and saw the five mark relativity question i thought oh yes. but then it got harder. question 12 (polarised light) was good too actually.
Agreed, the relativity question was lovely. I think I was just really unprepared for all the problem solving - stupid, I know, it was a Physics exam after all - but I thought there would be more KU, proofs and definitions etc. I seemed to revise (or memorise) an awful lot of stuff that didn't come up, which is a bit annoying. But I may just be reacting to the fact that me mucking up questions like the A-B distance one has probably sunk my Cam Law offer. Not too upset though, Edinburgh would be wicked
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (126)
18.1%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.59%
Not great so far... (250)
35.92%
I want to drop out! (128)
18.39%

Watched Threads