Should i take two languages for GCSE's?

Watch
theowlsayhoot
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I already choose my GSCE's-(all the core one's and music and Chinese and history) however i'm considering taking Spanish as well but have lessons outside of school. I really love languages and i love both Chinese and Spanish but I don't really if i should choose do private lessons or drop a subject in school or forget about it... HELP
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You can learn a language(s) for fun, it doesn't mean you need a qualification for it
emmaalouisee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you feel confident with the languages then do it... I started doing extra Spanish after school but soon dropped it - when you have revision sessions and 10 other subjects to revise for it's just a bit much. And remember there's a lot of coursework. My friend does French, German and Spanish, but he enjoys languages and can pass coursework exams and the listening/reading ones without any preparation.
It totally depends on how you are with languages - someone else is doing French and Spanish and is at A*'s in both of them. It's possible, but it depends on you and how demanding your other subjects are!
pursuedbyabear
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I take two languages, French and German, with lessons out of school and I don't find it too bad. I would say if you are really passionate about languages, then go for it! If you do take lessons outside of school, there is always the possibility of dropping out if it is too much later on.

I personally really enjoy both languages and I think I would have regretted it had I only picked one. I would do it, if I were you.
Dyscopia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm currently doing German and French (with German being German A) and I find the coursework not very overwhelming and I'm scoring in the high 90s in all of my tests. I love languages and I can quickly learn the vocab, so I rather enjoy those two subjects. I have both languages at school though, so I don't know how it would work outside of school. I think you should go for it and if it's too much, just drop it and focus on your other subjects. Remember, it's about quality, not quantity.
#sarahsmith2
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by theowlsayhoot)
Hi, I already choose my GSCE's-(all the core one's and music and Chinese and history) however i'm considering taking Spanish as well but have lessons outside of school. I really love languages and i love both Chinese and Spanish but I don't really if i should choose do private lessons or drop a subject in school or forget about it... HELP
I do both Spanish and French and generally score quite well in controlled assessments - got a few 30/30s I've never regretted choosing to do two languages... If you are good at learning and remembering vocab then you should be fine with the exams and it's most likely that your teachers will be kind and won't schedule assessments in both languages at the same time. Like Mac117 I've only ever learnt them through school as well though... Anyway spanish and Chinese don't sound like two languages you are likely to get confused with so I'd say go for it! (Never done Chinese so correct me if I'm wrong haha )
aha1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The one thing i regret about my GCSE options are not taking both french and spanish. I love french and i mean the CA is so easy all you need to do is remember and write. I would simply advise you to take heavily coursework based subjects
adriennesamantha
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by theowlsayhoot)
Hi! I'm in year 9 almost year 10 and I have been learning Spanish for about 6 months; without any help at home. I also do French as my other option. But because I live in Wales and the Welsh language is almost extinct I do Welsh in school as well. It's not hard but it requires hard work! Which I'm sure you are. A guy on youtube did a subject for GCSE at home who went to Oxford. I think he did either French or History? I would have a chat to whoever is head of Spanish at school. If you're naturally good at languages you should have no problem! But if you haven't learnt Spanish before it might get a bit stressful for you.
National Extension College
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

If you do decide to pick up Spanish and would like to get a qualification then you might want to consider studying via distance learning at home. If it would be of interest let me know and I can give you further information.

James
get_in_the_robot
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is there a chance of taking the exam as an individual candidate and studying Spanish in your spare time?
I study Japanese in my spare time, and may be taking the GCSE as an individual candidate at my school. This means I'll be taking it by myself. Or even take it with the Spanish class in your year?
TianaEsther
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You'll be fine. I went without a day of having any German lessons and got an overall A* for my coursework. I guess it's probably worth mentioning that German is my first language anyway, but I also do French and got my coursework to be an A. Bearing in mind that I learnt 2 writing course works and 1 speaking for my French, and 2 writing course works and 2 speaking for my German in less than a month and I managed to get the grades that were previously mentioned, it shouldn't be too hard for anyone. Exam-wise, you'll need a good teacher. I had the worst French teacher and I am convinced that I failed my French exam. I reckon I did alright on my German exam though. Learning vocabulary is all you really need to do for your exams and I'm sure there are vocabulary lists available on the internet if your teacher doesn't give them to you. On the bright side, the coursework is worth more than the exam (if you're doing AQA) which is a huge advantage in my opinion.
Lucywalker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm in year 10 and doing AQA French and German. I do French after school and German during the school day. I have done two pieces of coursework out of six and not finding it too difficult. When we do controlled assessments we do them at the same time which can be a lot to learn and memorise as it is double the work. I haven't found doing two languages a work overload at all and if you enjoy languages it's easier. I think you should defiantly do two as it gives you more of a choice at a-level. Languages are not hard to revise for either as the listening and reading tests just require you to know vocab which you can pick up throughout the year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.53%
I'm not sure (55)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (348)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (580)
48.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed